Author Topic: Using blubrry hosting with a custom site  (Read 2115 times)

ArrestedDevOps

Using blubrry hosting with a custom site
« on: October 12, 2015, 05:31:19 pm »
Our podcast is hosted on a site generated using Hugo (http://gohugo.io). Basically, it's a static site generator, so there is no API or anything fancy like that. I have no problems getting my episodes up to hosting (we use the Auphonic tie-in for that), but the episodes uploaded all look like "unpublished" episodes.

My question is...is this a problem? Other than for my own case of seeing them listed as "unpublished"? Should I just set the "Publish from Blubrry to homepage provided by Blubrry" setting and ignore it then?

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Using blubrry hosting with a custom site
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 12:10:17 am »
If the links to your Blubrry hosted media files are working on your site then you're fine. You don't need to do anything else. The published/unpublished status applies mostly to files published thru a Blubrry page.

ArrestedDevOps

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 09:07:00 am »
I figured as much. My major concern is there doesn't seem to be any way for me to get a listing of all the files uploaded/stored on my hosted account.

If you see this image (http://imgur.com/HWQUgqk), you can see that it only show two episodes as "Media files" and nothing as "unpublished". I have 44 episodes uploaded to Blubrry. The files all work.

Additionally, on the "Episodes" page, it doesn't show the most recent, which is episode 44, which was published on oct 1.

All of my episodes show up just fine in stats.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 01:08:16 pm »
Looking at your screenshot, I see episode 44 under the Media Files section at the top. It's your most recent file and it's possible the system just hasn't made it available yet in the Manage Episodes section but it should get there. Regardless, the file should be available and ready to use as needed.

The Manage Episodes section shows you all of the files on your account. There are navigation links on the bottom right-hand side if you need to look at older files.

ArrestedDevOps

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 08:25:52 am »
Hmm. I still don't see any episodes making their way to the Manage Episodes screen. Which means that the feed on our Blubrry page doesn't include them.

Our custom site generator on our side is hard-coding the number of episodes in the feed, so we have a stripped down list of episodes. I want to be able to use the Blubrry podcast page for the RSS feed, but since they aren't showing as "published" they don't show on our Blubrry page at http://arresteddevops.blubrry.com/

You can see that I still have three episodes hanging out in "unpublished" http://imgur.com/9eiQXzE

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 10:11:15 am »
The screen shot you show is actually the "Published" section. You can click the link next to the file name "see URL" to get the public media URL. If you click the link at the top you can switch to the "unpublished" recently uploaded but not published media files.

The reason for the 2 states is this: You may record and upload your episodes days or even weeks ahead. This unpublished queue doesn't impact your monthly storage quota as well, which makes it even more convenient. If you're using WordPress with our PowerPress plugin, you can schedule your blog post to go out in the future, when that day comes, your blog will contact our API servers to tell us to make the file public.

ArrestedDevOps

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 11:56:41 am »
OK, so the problem is I really need the feed on my Blubrry page updating. It is not. The screenshot claims those are "published" episodes but they do not show up on http://arresteddevops.blubrry.com

It seems like it will be less effort to actually refactor my code on my website than to get this working on the feed for blubrry itself I guess.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 01:04:27 pm »
http://arresteddevops.blubrry.com/ is from "blubrry custom websites". You need to go into blubrry publisher, click Create Episode to populate that listing.

We can import feeds to populate the site for you, but once imported you need to create episodes yourself.

There are three +1 ways to use blubrry:

1. Use PowerPress (preferred way), create blog post and upload your media all from your WordPress blog.

2. Use the hosted website pages option (what you are doing). You create and upload all of your episodes from the Blubrry Podcaster Dashboard. You not only upload files, you also have to create the title and show notes linked to each file (creating the episode). When you publish, the file with the meta information is posted in the feed provided by blubrry as well as posted on the hosted webpages (what you linked to).

3. Use WEBLOG API option. First you link your blog to your blubrry podcast account in the services settings of the Blubrry Podcaster Dashboard. Then you create and upload all of your episodes from the Blubrry Podcaster Dashboard. You upload files and create the title and show notes linked to each file (episode). When you click "Publish", our service makes the appropriate API call to your blog platform (that accepts the weblog API) to post the episode to your site.

4 (Plus 1) option is you can simply upload the files and then make them "public". AT this point you can copy the media URL and paste it into what ever syndication platform you are using.