Author Topic: Transfer Feeds  (Read 1514 times)

darryl505

Transfer Feeds
« on: September 23, 2015, 12:10:57 pm »
Good Morning,

I tried to get Blurbrry to work with my WP site earlier in the year and I could not make Category Feeds work.  It turns out that it was my theme causing the problem.  I have changed my themes and I think It will work fine now.   My issue is that ive been using another podcast service for the last year and my feeds are all registered with Itunes and Stitcher.  I know that I can change the stitcher feeds but itunes there does not seem to be a place to go and change that.   Some feeds have a way to forward it from within the feed.  Thats not an option with me nor is placing a code on the page because its not a stand alone page its a feed thats generated by criteria.    Does anyone know the best way to forward feeds and not risk losing so many people when we switch over?

Thanks so much

Darryl

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Transfer Feeds
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 01:42:13 pm »
The best solution is to set up a 301 redirect at the server of the old feed. This support article shows the best way to move a feed:
http://create.blubrry.com/manual/syndicating-your-podcast-rss-feeds/changing-your-podcast-rss-feed-address-url/

Some services won't allow you to implement 301 redirects. In that case, you can contact iTunes support and ask them to update your iTunes listing with the new feed URL:
https://itunespodcasts.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Also, if you're unable to set up a 301 redirect, you'll want to leave a post up on the old feed directing listeners to the new feed location.

darryl505

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 11:28:57 am »
Shawn,

Thanks for this.. i know its been a while but i just finished with all of my feeds today.  Going into the control panel to do a redirect did not work for me.  My host said its because there is no html file to forward.. ive actually had this issue before with feeds.   As I look at the page you posted i now have to go into the htaccess file but im a bit afraid because i have 12 feeds to foward so now im worried about making the file so long that i get lost in it.   But its a bit confusing.  For instance on the page it says

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^path/to/old/feed http://www.example.com/feed/podcast/ [L,R=301]
RewriteRule ^index.php$ – [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>
# END WordPress

In that there is no example of where the NEW feed goes.   Also do i use this complete code for each instance of redirect?  will i need to do this 12 times if i have 12 feed's needing redirect?

Thanks

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 11:48:03 am »
If you have 12 total feed URL's that'll need redirection, then you'll need to implement 12 301 redirects. If you can give me one of the feed URL's, I can show you an example of how you'll want to add the 301 redirect to your .htaccess file. Are all of these feeds hosted under the same domain or are they all hosted on different domains?

darryl505

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 11:52:40 am »
Thank you so much.  I tried one that i found off the internet and it crashed my whole site.. Luckly i just removed it and the site started working again.  Yes they are all hosted at the same place.  I switched from Seriously Simple Podcasting to Blubrry so everything is hosted in the same place.  I just deactivated the other podcasting service.   

This is an example of a feed that needs to change

Old feed:

http://alldigitalradionetwork.com/feed/podcast/paydirt-football-radio

New feed:

http://alldigitalradionetwork.com/category/adr-radio-shows/paydirt-football-radio/feed/

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 02:21:51 pm »
Knowing that all of the feeds are living under the one domain helps, and should make the process a bit easier. For the feed URL you posted above, you'd want to edit the .htaccess file like this:

Code: [Select]
# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^feed/podcast/paydirt-football-radio category/adr-radio-shows/paydirt-football-radio/feed/ [L,R=301]
</IfModule>
# END WordPress

You can add similar code for the other 11 feeds right under the first one. Just start each one with the RewriteRule ^ code and make sure it's followed by the [L,R=301] code. Also, note that you can leave out the top level domain from the feed URL's, and that there's a space between the old feed URL and the new feed URL.

darryl505

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 02:42:19 pm »
Tanks Shawn,

Ive tried this a few different ways trying to follow the instructions.  Clearly im doing something wrong.  But im going to show you the final method ive tried.   The url that i provided for you.. that you put into this works fine.. it forwards with no issues at all.   The other re writes do not forward .. it simply stays at the old feed.   My current htacess has this code in it

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^feed/podcast/paydirt-football-radio category/adr-radio-shows/paydirt-football-radio/feed/ [L,R=301]
RewriteRule ^feed/podcast/kg-in-the-lab category/adr-radio-shows/in-the-lab-with-kg/feed/ [L,R=301]
RewriteRule ^feed/podcast/off-the-hook-radio category/adr-radio-shows/off-the-hook-radio/feed/ [L,R=301]
</IfModule>
# END WordPress

ive tried totally new codes making 3 instances of the entire thing. that too did not work for me.  the paydirt football feed forwards.. the rest do not.

darryl505

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 03:49:29 pm »
hi,

Please disregard.  I had a whole set of code above that.. and i was putting it below that instead of in the htaccess code that was already there.  so now im fine.

THANK U for all of your help.