Author Topic: What do you think of Podcast Advertising that is Auto-Inserted?  (Read 5408 times)

Todd

• Administrator
What do you think of Podcast Advertising that is Auto-Inserted?
« on: February 14, 2007, 05:08:41 pm »
I have a lengthy post over on the RawVoice blog that was in response to a Business Week article and I would love some feedback on the posting. Most importantly I want to hear from podcasters what they feel about auto insertion of advertising into their podcast.

For the record I am not a big fan of that type of advertising.

http://www.rawvoice.com/2007/02/14/my-ground-truth-on-podcast-advertising/

rawvoicemarketing

Re: What do you think of Podcast Advertising that is Auto-Inserted?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 08:18:30 pm »
I think that auto insertions can work in situations where the podcaster has the opportunity to preview the spot and choose exactly where the spot is added to the show.

I'm not a believer in attempting to translate the Google Adsense model for podcasting. I've seen some horrible pairings of web pages and text links as a result of adsense. And while that might be such a big deal on web pages I think those types of issues could seriously jeopardize the relationship between podcasters and their audience.

My experience in podcasting has been that there's a tight relationship between regular audience members and the podcasters. If advertisers use that relationship well by providing the hosts themselves the opportunity to take part in presenting ads then everyone will be getter off.

Mikethinks

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 10:05:42 pm »
The main issue with auto insertion IMHO is that you end up putting it in the very beginning of a show, and destroy branding.   

I don't want the 1st voice my subscriber hears to be someone else.  Putting them in the end is problematic too as people tend to skip by them or never hear them if a shows final topic (ie the feedback/email part doesn't interest them), and in my show I have exit music that trails off for 15 seconds, so it would sound a little out of place.

I start out all my shows with me saying that my show is sponsored in part by <insert advertiser>, its 10 seconds, its my voice, and the 1st thing you hear is 'The Mike Thinks Podcast is brought to you by'....so you hear my brand right up front, in my voice.

dmv

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 01:24:21 am »
auto insertions     The name itself brings up images of robotic arms and banks of cd players send out canned noise to 10000s of dead radio stations. The question to ask is who benifits from this relationship. Or better what is the relationship. I would aruge this model is about zero relationship. The only concern to the person or corp placing the auto insertion is message in. They are uses a podcast to get into the listener personal space. Podcaster's honesty and committent builds the relationship of trust. So the listner cames back time and time again to hear what you have to say. I think auto insertion backer are exploting the trust built by the cast, further because there is no way to edit or chance the message in a real sence you are giving the single most important element of podcasting your unedited point of view. And all this for pennies on the dollar.  It is my personal believe that in the pod space we do not do Ads, we  invite people to try out the things we think are cool. auto insertions bad idea.

2GuysTalking

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 11:40:26 pm »
I think if the "auto insertions" don't suck and are original, they can add to the front end of podcasts that might not "grab" people.  There are several that I listen to via iTunes that have the insert, that outclass the podcast that they're attached to.

I think that's also the peril of what is modern-day podcast directories.  While you can "surf" and "search" to find podcasts that might have the topic of interest, the realization is that most suck and lack the quality that 90% of the inserts have.  That's a lot of podcasts to sift though for sure.