Author Topic: Migration to a new domain  (Read 3079 times)

adwindham

Migration to a new domain
« on: April 23, 2009, 05:54:14 pm »
We just migrated all of our podcast files (mp3) to another domain, but are keeping our site for accessing the files on our prior domain.  I assumed that when I changed the settings in Powerpress - Basic Settings - Default Media URL to our new domain that it would change our prior episodes to the new URL, but it appears that is not the case.  Since we have kept the file naming structure the same, but the domain has changed, is there another way to easily change all 339 of our blog entries without manually editing each one?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: Migration to a new domain
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 02:18:56 am »
Migrating blog posts/podcast episodes form one domain to another is a very complicated process. You're most likely going to want to seek out a WordPress expert to handle the move for you so no data is lost.

The New Feed URL option is for if you decode to stop using your WordPress+PowerPress TDD feed and you wish to rediect it to somewhere else such as a new FeedBurnerFeed. If the WordPress+PowerPress RSS feed is your new RSS feed then you don not want to use this setting.

To better explain, the new feed URL needs to be added to your old feed. The option tells everyone subscribed to your old feed to start using the new feed.

adwindham

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 11:26:32 am »
I should clarify a few things.  First of all, this is a non-profit church with no money to hire someone, so that is not an option.  We are using Powerpress to host recordings of sermons so that they are available for download.  We are not charging for subscriptions to our media, and I doubt (but honestly do not know) that we have very many subscribers.  I am not concerned about needing to inform our subscribers of the changes. 

Second, we are not migrating any of the posts.  We are simply migrating the mp3 files linked in the posts.  For instance, we have a post for a sermon, such as http://www.austinuu.org/wp/2009/02/what-defines-greatness/ .  Within that post are the links to the mp3 recording of said sermon so that the recording can be played either using the media player included in Powerpress or downloaded via the link under the media player.  Previously, the link for the mp3 file would have been http://www.austinuu.org/av/audio/2009-02-22_What_defines_greatness.mp3 .  We now need to change the link to the mp3 file to http://www.austinuuav.org/audio/2009-02-22_What_defines_greatness.mp3.  All of the mp3 files have already been moved, it is at this point simply a matter of changing the links in the blog posts (I used "episode" in my last post since that is what the portion of the post that needs to be edited is called.)  Thus, the link to the post would remain http://www.austinuu.org/wp/2009/02/what-defines-greatness/ - it is only the links contained within that post that need to be changed. 

Obviously, I can go into each post and manually change each link.  If that's the only way to go about this, I will do so.  What I am wondering is if there is an easier way to go about it than manually editing each entry.  We can't afford to pay someone to do this, so it's up to me to get this to work.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 01:32:11 pm »
Here's a suggestion. Please backup your database before you proceed though.

Install the Search and Replace plugin for Wordpress. you can use this plugin to do a replace in all of your blog posts for media urls in the post content itself. As for the enclosure data, there is no plugin yet available that makes it easy to modify the URLs where the media resides. If all of your media episodes are linked in your post content, you could use the "Import from Blogger/Movable Type" option under the blubrry PowerPress > Tools section in your WP-Admin. I would first convert your media URLs using the Search and Replace plugin then go to the Import Blogger/Movable Type page to see if all of the media files are found within the posts or not. If they are, then you could easily create a new custom podcast feed and import the new media files into the new feed. If you're familiar with SQL, you could also delete all of the enclosures in the post meta data table then use the Import Blogger/Movable Type option to import the media into the default Podcast feed.

adwindham

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 07:16:15 pm »
I used search and replace, and it seems to have found all of the URLs and replaced them correctly.  I am now having a problem with the files playing in the media player within the posts.  They are able to be downloaded via the download link, but will not play in the media player included with Powerpress.  I suspect that it is a separate issue best dealt with via another thread and/or further investigation on my part, so I will consider this thread closed.  Thanks for the suggestion, angelo!

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 02:05:33 am »
One quick thought, if your file names have spaces or contain non standard characters (other than letters, numbers and dashes), then it is possible that the Player is not able to handle the media paths. If that is the case, you may have better luck with the WP Audio Player, it may be able to handle the spaces and other non-standard characters in the file names.

adwindham

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 09:21:29 am »
I installed the WP audio player plug-in and had a similar problem- endless buffering.  When trying to troubleshoot that I found out what was causing the problem in Powerpress.  It turns out that it was Microsoft Messenger.  Once I uninstalled that and was subsequently able to upgrade Flash, I can now play the audio files using the Powerpress player with no problems. 

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 11:21:39 am »
Wow, that sounds like a very unique situation, sometimes bugs like these are never figured out.