Author Topic: Can a shared-hosting Wordpress website handle the traffic?  (Read 539 times)

Panda41

Hi,

I've created a self-hosted Wordpress website where I plan to make my audio podcasts available for my listeners. For my RSS, I'd like to use mywebsite.com/feed/podcast, as blubrry recommends, and I plan to use the Powerpress plugin. To keep the costs down, my website is shared-hosting site on Hostgator, not a dedicated website or VPS. If I use blubrry to host my media files, my question is, can a shared-hosting website handle the traffic created by listeners who want to access my podcast episodes? Or do I need to upgrade to a VPS or dedicated hosting plan? And how much traffic can a shared-hosting site handle before it maxes out? Thanks!

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: Can a shared-hosting Wordpress website handle the traffic?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 10:30:39 am »
As long as you don't put your media (mp3's or videos) on your shared hosting plan, it will handle the RSS feed and website.  The problem happens when you also have your media on the web hosting plan.  Your downloads compete with the website and the feed and can bog down.  If it gets bad enough, hostgator will kick you off. 

We offer media hosting at blubrry.   Use my promo code MIKE for a free month of service.  It works with the powerpress plugin so you don't have to leave your website to publish an episode.  Produce - post - publish.  See: http://create.blubrry.com/resources/podcast-media-hosting/

-Mike

Panda41

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 03:06:07 pm »
Hi, may I ask a quick follow-up question: I was listening to an informative podcast called Podcast Help Desk (nice job, Mike!--it's an extremely helpful show), and there you said that one option for dealing with a shared-hosting site that can't handle the heavy traffic was to install the plugin Static Feed. Here's my situation: I've got a shared-hosting Wordpress website on Hostgator, and I'm taking your advice not to host my media files on my own website. I plan on launching my podcast publicly next month or so, and therefore don't have anybody subscribing to my feed yet. If I use the feed generated by my website (in other words, mywebsite.com/feed/podcast) and later--say, a year from now--have to add the Static Feed plugin to my site to help my website keep up with an overtaxed feed, will Static Feed make me lose all the listeners who'd already subscribed to my original feed (mywebsite.com/feed/podcast)? And if so, is there way to point them to the new Static Feed-created feed? And thanks, by the way, for mentioning, that Static Feed still works. When I saw that warning message on the Wordpress Codex, I figured it was obsolete.

Thanks!

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 03:23:34 pm »
Well, first off, on a hostgator website, it will be a long time before you will come to that problem if you are just having your feed coming from there.   BUT, no, you won't lose any subscribers.  You can do what is called a 301 redirect from your old feed to the new one.  Once iTunes and the rest get the change, nobody will notice a difference. 

That's another advantage of having your feed come from your own domain :)

Thanks for listening to my little podcast!

-Mike

EDIT:  Let me also say that even though Static-feed will work, that would only be a temporary fix for an overloaded site.  You would still have to upgrade your hosting plan (web hosting) at some point if the growth keeps going at the same pace.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 03:25:16 pm by mgdell »