Author Topic: How'd my podcast get in iTunes--even though I haven't signed up with it yet?  (Read 578 times)

Panda41

Hi,

Here's the situation: I haven't yet formally submitted my podcast to iTunes, but I have created a Wordpress site, installed the Powerpress plugin, created some test posts and added some short snippets of audio just to get the feel of how to use Powerpress. Somehow or other, in monkeying around with my website, Powerpress and iTunes, I suddenly saw my podcast showing up in the "My Podcasts" section of iTunes. At the bottom of the "My Podcasts" section, where it says, "Show," I've got the pulldown list set on "Feed." At some point or another, I must have typed either mywebsite.com or mywebsite.com/feed/podcast into the "Search Library" blank just to see what would happen, along with clicking "Refresh." Frankly, I don't know what I did. But somehow, my podcast showed up in the "My Podcasts" section of iTunes, but not in the iTunes store.

How did that happen? Did iTunes somehow pick up my feed--even though I got a thumbs down when I entered mywebsite.com/feed/podcast into feedvalidator.org?

I'm not quite ready to go public with my podcast, so I removed the audio snippets from the Powerpress section of my website posts just to keep my podcast from somehow making another unscheduled debut.

Totally puzzled!?!?!?

twoormoretotango

I notice that mine also showed up in My Podcasts in iTunes. But it has not yet been approved by iTunes. It plays, but if you go to the iTunes store and do a search I think you'll find that it is not there.

I'm not sure how iTunes finds it and puts it in My Podcasts, though.

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
What is your feed address?    What are you using to generate your feed?   EDIT:  I see you are using powerpress.  Who is hosting your media?

-Mike

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Are you sure you didn't subscribe manually to your own podcast?   You don't have to be in the store to use the iTunes desktop app or the IOS Podcasts app to subscribe and listen to a podcast.

-Mike

twoormoretotango

Ahhhhh, good catch. For me, I hit the "Subscribe" for iTunes button on my site as I was testing it, just to see what it would do. It didn't appear to do anything - but apparently it did!

Panda41

I think I did the same thing that twoormoretoqtango did. That explains it. Thanks!