Author Topic: Request Players and Player Options for PowerPress  (Read 1427 times)

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Request Players and Player Options for PowerPress
« on: March 26, 2015, 09:23:11 am »
We would like community feedback on the following:

• Do you wish you had more player options to pick from in PowerPress? If so, please tell us about players you wish you could pick from.
  • What settings would you like to have when configuring the current players in PowerPress? Please give as much detail as possible.

We currently include the following players in PowerPress:

Audio
  • MediaElement.js (you can style this using CSS in your theme. See Appendipity.com for examples)
  • 1 Pixel out player (Flash based, does not work on Mobile)
  • Native HTML5 player - Looks and functions differently on each browser. The advantage is that it has no JavaScript payload, play performance is optimal and guaranteed

Video
  • MediaElement.js (you can style this using CSS in your theme)
  • Video.js
  • Native HTML5 player - Looks and functions differently on each browser. The advantage is that it has no JavaScript payload, play performance is optimal and guaranteed

WordPress Playlist Player
  • Supports audio and video
  • Can be styled with CSS

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
Re: Request Players and Player Options for PowerPress
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 02:48:28 pm »
I like the MediaElement player but it'd be nice if it were more easily skinned. Or at least, if it could be altered so it's really obvious that, "Hey, this is how to listen to this podcast episode."

I made my own modification thru PowerPress CSS and you can see an example here.

My thinking here is, embedded video players have become so ubiquitous that anyone can look at them and understand how to use them. But I think about people I know who aren't very tech savvy who might go to my podcast website, see some shownotes and then an embedded audio player with a play button. Will it make sense to them what the player is for? I may be overthinking this but I do have friends that aren't very tech savvy and I try to look at these things thru their perspectives.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 04:02:28 pm »
Have you seen the player styling that Appendipity.com has done? Those are good examples of the MediaElmenet.js player styled.

The reasons you mention I believe are why the 1 pixel out player was so popular years ago, it was bigger and when it was not playing anything it had a clean play button with no other clutter.

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 08:55:22 pm »
The Appendipity player looks nice and it definitely solves the problem of, "Hey, the play button is over here!" It's a good example of MediaElement player styling that works.

Buying into the whole Genesis/Appendipity package is a bit out of my price range just to get the player. But I can see why people do put out the money for it.

mc

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 06:01:03 am »
The best player I have seen is Smart Podcast Player, I tried it with Powerpress by passing the URL but the problem it takes the RSS feed and then re-imports the data back into the database for caching, ironically the data is already in the database.

https://smartpodcastplayer.com/

SPP and Powerpress need to link up, it would only require a new function (checked code) and mapping between the data it extracts from the RSS to rather use the powerpress data. I would guess 1-2 hours of work.

Powerpress you could then sell SPP and take a commission. Just an idea :).

I have mentioned you guys to SPP.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 10:32:01 am »
I've contacted them 6 times now about collaborating, but they never respond to my inquiries. If you can please contact them ask them to get back to me at cio [at] rawvoice dot com, we would love to make sure the player is compatible with PowerPress.

mc

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 11:53:07 am »
Hi

I have mentioned to them but perhaps they own their own mission.