Author Topic: Category Feeds Not Showing Up Properly In Itunes  (Read 2264 times)

darryl505

Re: Category Feeds Not Showing Up Properly In Itunes
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 03:50:23 pm »
Hey,  The permalink is set to post name.  should it be ?

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 10:15:11 pm »
Yes, the permalinks setting to "posts" is just fine for category podcasting.

-Mike

darryl505

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2015, 10:22:08 pm »
ok thank you. i also updated the plugin today in hopes that this would solve my issue but its the same still

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2015, 10:22:52 pm »
What is the issue?  and what is your feed address (adresses?)

-Mike

darryl505

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2015, 10:30:25 pm »
My issue is that I am using category podcasting.  When i go to submit any category feed into itunes what comes up is the information from my main feed.

I have manually entered a podcast name and what comes up is the full name of the webstie and category.
I have entered an author and what comes up is the website url
NO Long description comes up yet i have entered a description and the short description plays but its not the short description that i entered into the category of the feed i am submitting.

Also i chose a category but the category i chose does not display and itunes asks me to manually chose one (that part is not a big deal for me because there is a work around to chose it in itunes)

In short no matter what i have done my category feeds display information from the main feed and NOT the category.  i believe that i gave the url to screen shots in my earlier message but i can find them again and repost if they are not there.

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2015, 10:32:43 pm »
2 questions:

1. Is there a reason you want to use category podcasting?   How many podcast series (not episodes) are you doing?

2. Did you enable category podcasting in powerpress? 

-Mike

darryl505

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2015, 10:44:02 pm »
Sorry you did ask for a feed url.  i have created many but here is the latest i tried  http://alldigitalradionetwork.com/category/music/feed/

To answer your questions.

1.  Yes i need category podcasting because we are a radio network with about 19 shows per week and i need a feed for each show.  Multi WP is not an option for the way we run our site.
2.  Yes I have enabled category podcating.  i dont think i could modify the feed if i did not (perhaps im wrong)   Also i believe i put screen shots earlier in the convo to show all of the work i had done.   

Im very open to suggestions here.  (outside of multisite wp)

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2015, 10:47:08 pm »
I think, in your case, channels may be the way to go. 

The only problem is you would have to have 19 (the default and 18 more) but, it will give you much more control over the feeds. 

Category feeds are generated by wordpress alone and powerpress just adds a couple of fields to them.   Channels are created by Powerpress, therefore, they are much more robust.

The only issue I would see is you would have 19 podcast episode boxes when you make a post and have to post to the correct one. 

-Mike

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 10:49:02 pm »
Sorry I didn't read the rest of the thread..... Looks like you are already working with Angelo on this.   

But the channels would work :)

-Mike

darryl505

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 10:53:09 pm »
Listen,

I need all the help i can get.  lol this is the first i was told about channels.   As far as clicking in which podcast.. i already have to do that now i have to click which category.  Clicking in a specific channel wont cause an issue for me.   The only reason i did not chose channels is because i kept being warned by things i read to NOT use that unless you have video or other formats of the SAME podcast.    Are there instructions for using channels?

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2015, 10:54:56 pm »
No... Our CEO Todd, uses channels for his network.. He has video and audio but it works great for audio only.   Like I said, you will have 19 podcast episode boxes when you post, so make sure you use  the correct one, but it will work for you.

-Mike

darryl505

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2015, 10:56:53 pm »
Mike, YOU MAY HAVE JUST SAVED MY LIFE!!!  i will report back on this tomorrow!   Thank you either way for giving me a new thing to try!

darryl505

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2015, 11:47:15 am »
I am back to trying to work on this problem.. im trying to get it resolved on my other site so that when i put it on my main site its working.   To take your advice i am going with the custom channels.  When i create them they do validate but the feed has all of the posts from my regular website.  When i go to itunes i am told they cannot download my episodes  this feed i made is 
http://sirdarryl.com/feed/sdrecast/

There is only one episode in that feed but when you go to that feed you see all of the posts that I have made for the whole site.

Im sure this is a minor issue but i dont see what i did wrong

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2015, 11:55:48 am »
Do you have at least one podcast posted in that channel? 

-Mike

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2015, 12:00:02 pm »
The only other thing I can think of is that you have another plugin conflicting.

There shouldn't be any non-media posts in the channel feed.

Take a look at this: http://create.blubrry.com/resources/powerpress/using-powerpress/diagnosing-feed-andor-player-issues-with-powerpress/

-Mike