Author Topic: All Feeds Error Out: Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding !  (Read 1313 times)

drummer392

I am getting an error on all of my feeds suddenly. Haven't changed anything recently...just started today.

Error is: Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding !

Here is a page with the error: https://burtnetwork.com/category/goodcoachbadcoach/feed/

Thank you!

Brandon

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: All Feeds Error Out: Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding !
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 09:51:52 am »
Do you have any podcast episodes posted to that category?   

If not, the feed will not be totally complete until you do.  Once you get an episode posted, check it again.

-Mike

drummer392

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 04:49:39 pm »
I have gone in a verified each episode in the category to make sure the media is there using the "verify media" button. Everything is good. Still, each podcast feed on my site is doing this. This just started happening all of a sudden...even to categories that I haven't touched in months. Why would this be happening to all of the podcast categories?

Thank you!

mgdell

• Administrator

drummer392

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 05:04:10 pm »
I'll check with that. There are definitely episodes showing on the backend, and the feed even validates with FeedValidator.org (and shows the full feed with audio in FeedValidator surprisingly). So it is most likely a plugin issue. I will keep you posted. Thank you!

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 05:18:42 pm »
Take a look at your feed in Firefox (other browsers won't work)  There are no media files showing.

The feed can validate without episodes in it.  Feedvalidator.org works for blogs also (without podcasts attached)

-Mike

drummer392

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 05:25:45 pm »
Here is my feed in FeedVaildator and it shows the audio (with the blubrry media urls) http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=https%3A%2F%2Fburtnetwork.com%2Fcategory%2Fgoodcoachbadcoach%2Ffeed%2F

I also see that there are no episodes when I check Firefox as well...which is strange...

I am not doing anything different than what I have normally been doing. Setup a category, setup category podcasting, add audio to a post and verify, add post to category, and it always shows up in the feed after that and in iTunes.

BTW, thanks for your help on this!

EDIT: Also, some of those errors (like the one about the image not being a full url) seem invalid on FeedValidator.org...unless you care to shed some light, but the feed images always work.

ADITIONAL EDIT: Feeds show up without audio, but as soon as I put the audio on the post it errors out.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 05:36:12 pm by drummer392 »

drummer392

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 07:38:50 pm »
AddThis for WordPress is the culprit!!! Not sure if I need to reach out to them or what. I'll see if I can turn it off for feeds.

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 09:15:38 pm »
Sounds like you got it working.. It is strange that Addthis caused this because I use that plugin.. Could be a combo of your theme and Addthis messing with the feed. 

Either way. At least its working and you can find another social plugin :)

-Mike

drummer392

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 05:09:48 pm »
I contacted AddThis support, and they temporarily gave me an older version of the plugin for half the day, and then gave me a brand new version that fixes my issue. So this issue is now resolved.

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 09:36:31 pm »
Good deal!  I use that plugin on my personal sites.. Glad they are on the ball! :)

-Mike