Author Topic: FEED QUESTION: Changing to Powerpress from Seriously Simple Podcasting  (Read 1600 times)

ammcf

I'm switching a client from Seriously Simple Podcasting plugin to the Powerpress Plugin to take advantage of the "subscribe" functionality. The SPP plugin created a feed address that we submitted to iTunes, etc. already. Installing Powerpress I see that it creates the exact same feed address.

So am I right in thinking that if I load everything the Powerpress way (using posts and the media field below the post), then delete the other plugin, then iTunes would continue to pull from that feed address and not lose anything, even though it's a different plugin doing the work?

I hope that makes sense.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: FEED QUESTION: Changing to Powerpress from Seriously Simple Podcasting
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 10:28:54 am »
Actually we haven't setup a migrate option for the SSP plugin. We've been hoping to find someone like yourself who is doing the switch, not that many podcasters use the simple podcasting plugin so the opportunity hasn't come up until now.

If you do not mind contacting me at cio [at] rawvoice dot com, i can get the details about your site which would be helpful for making the transition to PowerPress easy.

Currently we know that the plugin uses a custom post type rather than a custom feed to provide a podcast feed. We have custom post type podcasting support in PowerPress, so this will be easy to deal with. The only part we need to develop is an import process, as the SSP plugin stores episode information in a proprietary field in the postmeta database table. Should be simple enough to migrate, we just need someone like yourself willing to help us.

By the way, PowerPress as a simplified mode, and an advanced mode, so if the reason for using the SSP plugin is because of the complicated settings, you can switch to Simple mode in PowerPress and only deal with the bare minimum settings needed to podcast.

ammcf

Done. Thanks Angelo.

sdee11

• Rookie
I am working on the same transition from SSP to PowerPress.  Did you guys figure anything out or come up with a process?  I want to make sure this goes really smoothly for my client.

Thanks,
Sara

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator

sdee11

• Rookie
Thank you so much, Angelo!  We did the SSP to Powerpress transition but didn't go through and verify the podcast data on each episode, which was a huge problem.  All of our podcasts were coming in as 15 seconds when they are really 15-20 minutes.  This is now resolved since I read the article and verified the podcast URL.

I am still having an issue with the podcasts saying "Episode Unavailable" in the iTunes app for iOS when I first try to play them.  Any insight on that?

Thanks,
Sara

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
sdee11, what is the URL to your listing on iTunes?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Test it now, I am not having a problem downloading your latest episode (let me know which episode is having a problem if it is not the latest one).

iTunes is pulling http://ronkitchens.com/?feed=podcast BTW.