Author Topic: PowerPress subscribe page not working for categories  (Read 5821 times)

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: PowerPress subscribe page not working for categories
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 02:50:09 pm »
Here: https://wordpress.org/plugins/powerpress/developers/ you want the "development version".

elembemedia

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 03:37:11 pm »
It fixed the subscribe to pages perfect. Thanks so much for that.

There still is a weird bug for the subscribe options below the player. When viewing just the post they all point to the correct feeds. But when you are viewing all posts on the main page they still look at the main feed.

Thanks again for the awesome help!

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 03:45:02 pm »
That is correct behavior actually, because on a main page you do not know which category someone is viewing, if any category. This is where the option to set a specific category as default is still a better solution down the road.

elembemedia

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 01:17:42 am »
Interesting.  For whats its worth, if there was anyway to have it look at the post category and show links because of that it would be cool. I may be a rare case in the way I have my homepage layout. I have three podcasts and two other categories which aren't podcasts and all of them show on the main "blog" page. Have any suggestions on how to lay that out so the links point properly? Thanks again so much!!!

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 01:23:21 am »
The three podcasts are using category podcasting right?

elembemedia

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 05:46:30 pm »
Right, three different podcasts, three different categories.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 04:09:35 pm »
What we're thinking of proposing is this:

In PowerPress golobal settings, there would be an option to "Use Category Podcasting Exclusively".

This would:

• Disable the default podcast feed
  • Require that you you do not cross categorize your podcasts
  • Allow you to select a specific podcast category as the primary podcast

The primary podcast category would be what is used if 2 or more categories were selected for an episode for example. If you cross categories we would not know which one should be used for the podcast show/program.

As a negative result, PowerPress would no longer register the podcast only feed (example.com/feed/podcast/) and the mapping of the example.com/podcats/ page would no longer be handled by PowerPress. For those category podcasters who rely on PowerPress allowing for a root category page, this will be a negative. WordPress by default puts category landing pages in example.com/category/category-slug/ (category-slug being the web friendly name of your category) If you want a category to have a root level landing page URL, you will need to use some other sort of plugin or logic in your theme as this is not default WordPress behavior and looking back we should have never offered it as an option in PowerPress as it's now made a lot of category podcasting users assume this is supposed to be available or happen. This is a bad practice anyway because it can harm your SEO if the same age is available in two different URLs (e.g. example.com/category-slug/ and example.com/category/category-slug/)

If you do not rely on your category landing page being at the root of your site, then the proposed changes will not negatively effect you.

elembemedia, I think the proposed solution would solve your problem having 3 categories, so as long as you never cross categorize.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 04:10:48 pm »
As this matures we may also be able to show an alert box if 2 or more categories are selected when an episode is set, assuming the check is possible.

DavidN

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 12:44:22 am »
Hey

Thank you for your prompt response. It does indeed appear to be the same problem and the fix you are suggesting in the other post would be exactly what I am looking for to be able to set a specific category for the subscribe links. So the iTunes subscribe link will read from the category iTunes subscribe URL that it's posted in as apposed to the main iTunes subscribe URL which is currently does.

Is there a time scale on when this will be ready?

Kind regards

David

creativitymatters

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 11:41:55 am »
This would seem to fix my issues also as I will be exclusively using category podcasting!

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2015, 03:01:06 pm »
Great!

Here is the tentative plan:

Release PowerPress 6.0.2 over this weekend (has a few minor bugs and changes in it including the one previously discussed in this thread). The following week we will start working on 6.1. As soon as we have a beta I'll come back to this thread and let you know.

Usually major releases beta's can take 2-8 weeks before they are released, minor versions like 6.0 to 6.1 usually only take 1-2 weeks before they are released. Essentially major features are in major increments, minor changes like this are in sub versions.

paulaflalo

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2015, 09:33:28 pm »
This is interesting, and I'll test out the developer version. But what if we use category podcasting (individually, never a cross over with other categories), but also use the main feed?

Thanks!

elembemedia

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2015, 02:02:23 pm »
Sorry I haven't responded for awhile but that is exactly what I would want!!! I only use the category podcasts. I will gladly test out the beta and report my results back here!! Can't wait!

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2015, 04:17:06 pm »
I am working on a release of PowerPress this weekend, 6.0.2. Following the release I will be merging code that I wrote to deal with the category situation discussed in this thread. As early as mid next week I should have a beta version of 6.1 ready that addresses the category problems discussed.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 06:59:20 pm »
If you have not guessed, there has been a delay with PowerPress 6.0.2. We are in final testing of this minor release now, it may be released as early as tomorrow. Once it is released, expect this feature to be available in beta within 1-2 weeks following.