Author Topic: Settings Page is Gone!  (Read 2266 times)

pfgwm

Settings Page is Gone!
« on: January 21, 2015, 01:04:15 pm »
I recently created a podcast for one of my clients and was initially using the default blubrry password given when we created our account. We have since changed our password and it broke the connection between blubrry and powerpress (not the problem). Then, I went to the settings page to change the password from within powerpress and I presume you have to be in advanced mode to do this. I clicked on advanced mode and the entire settings page is now blank. Can't see anything. I went into the inspector in Chrome's developer tools and I see the following errors:

Failed to load resource: net::ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED
http://example.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=powerpress/powerpressadmin_basic.php

Failed to load resource: net::ERR_CACHE_MISS
http://example.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=powerpress/powerpressadmin_basic.php

What the heck happened and how can I fix?

Thanks for the assistance. Website: http://pfgwm.com
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 03:20:32 pm by angelo »

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: Settings Page is Gone!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 02:38:16 pm »
Try logging out of your admin in wordpress and log back in.

-Mike

pfgwm

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 02:45:08 pm »
Hi Mike,

Thank you for the suggestion. It did not work for me, but you got me thinking... I should have tried it from another browser to make sure it wasn't a cache issue. I am getting the same result no matter the browser.

I welcome any other ideas or expertise.

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 02:54:32 pm »
Well, you can try the nuke option. (this will not lose your settings)

Unintall powerpress and then download powerpress here https://wordpress.org/plugins/powerpress/ and manually install it by putting it in your wp-content > plugins folder via ftp.

Then re-inable it.   That might fix a corrupt file. 

If that doesn't work, I will have to ask Angelo to chime in.

-Mike

pfgwm

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 03:02:01 pm »
Again, thank you for that suggestion. I did what you suggested and wiped out the plugin. I definitely thought of that, but didn't want to presume all my settings would be preserved. Glad to know. At any rate, the issue still persists and I have "nuked" the plugin. I wonder what else could be the issue. The rest of the website is working fabulously. In fact, it always has. This issue is definitely stemming from the password change on blubrry and then trying to switch to advanced mode to update the password from within powerpress.

Count on me to break something that was working perfect originally :-\

Thank you again. Looking forward to getting this resolved.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 03:19:59 pm »
I believe these errors are browser specific. They are telling in that there is a problem between Google Chrome brwoser and your server.

First, try a different browser like Firefox and make sure you can get into the settings ok and do what you need.

Then Google "chrome Failed to load resource: net::ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED", there are many possibilities. I would start with the top most answer found here: http://superuser.com/questions/172951/chrome-error-330-neterr-content-decoding-failed If you use a WP caching plugin, reset that for sure, and also make sure your web hosting is not already automatically compression your web pages, if it is then more than likely the WP caching plugin is duplicating work in that regard. It may also be the server has caching and it needs cleared.

Also, some caching mechanisms can be circumvented by slightly changing the URL. You can do that by adding additional random parameters, like how I add "&a=b" to the following example URL: example.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=powerpress/powerpressadmin_basic.php&a=b

For indexing reasons, i'm renaming your URLs to example.com.

pfgwm

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 03:45:32 pm »
Thanks for your message, Angelo.

I have tried other browsers, but let me get more specific so we can rule out anything I could have missed. I do not have any caching plugins and my server host is not using any specialized caching within their setup.
First off, I did try your suggestion of using random parameters... it did not work.

Then, I tried to access the settings page in powerpress in three different browsers, with the same result. Here are the specifics from all the inspectors/developer modules within each browser:

Chrome: I already provided these details. They have not changed.

Firefox: Content Encoding Error. The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.

Safari: Failed to load resource: cannot decode raw data  http://example.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=powerpress/powerpressadmin_basic.php

Tried all these things and still not working. I am a paying subscriber to blubrry and have been enjoying using for our podcast dissemination, but this issue really seems to be isolated to the browser not being able to output something specifically related to the powerpressadmin_basic.php page. No other component of our website is affected. Just the powerpress admin page.

Any suggestions? Thank you so much for the help you have already provided. it's greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 04:01:18 pm by pfgwm »

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 03:55:15 pm »
FOR YOUR SECURITY DO NOT PROVIDE LINKS TO YOUR WEB SITE'S ADMIN AREA. But until you reply, i will do the same. Once you see the example below how to test, please reply and I will edit and switch your domain with example.com in my reply.

So you understand, this is an error between your web server and the browser, and the error from Chrome was the most helpful. Your server is sending the incorrectly compressed (gzip or deflate) results form the page in question. We don't know why yet, that's what we're trying to help you with, which I am going to say soon that you will need to contact your web hosting, but lets test what I've already suggested first.

The real problem is hopefully getting written to some log file somewhere on your server, but getting that kid of data from a hosting company like Godaddy is like pulling teeth.

Try this: http://pfgwm.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=powerpress/powerpressadmin_basic.php&random=value

Note the addition of &random=value

Change the value a few times, this may get past what ever is cached on your web server.

Who is your web hosting company?

pfgwm

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 04:19:34 pm »
I am hosting this site with godaddy but there was not any issues until today. I have been working with this plugin for weeks without any problems on godaddy... uploading, managing shows, etc has all been very smooth. The settings page has always worked fine. I am so confused as to why this issue would seemingly appear at random after a password change. If I have to call godaddy, as you already know, they will most likely say that the plugin is the issue and end up back here.

I have logged into my account and reset all the server processes and I am going through what logs I have available to me.

I feel very defeated at the moment.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 04:23:25 pm »
I'm glad you told me your using Godaddy, they have had this problem with our plugin with another customer. If you can email me your account info, I will pass on your info to them so they have another account to look into. please email cio at rawvoice dot com.

They can downgrade the site to PHP 5.3 and then the problem goes away, running PHP 5.4 with their infrastructure seems to be where the problem is.

pfgwm

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 04:43:44 pm »
I have PM'd you my account number over at Godaddy. I am a reseller for them and have a lot of domains, hosting, and other accounts setup with them. They aught to respond fairly quickly when you tell them my account info. I have manually downgraded my PHP version number as I am fairly certain it will not adversely affect any of the other sites I am hosting on that hosting account. I will test out your theory and let you know should I find success.

Regards,
Jason

pfgwm

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 06:44:09 pm »
Bingo!

After manually downgrading to 5.3 and clearing my browser cache I was successfully able to access the powerpress settings page, my faith in humanity has been restored, and I can finally eat once again. Thank you, Angelo, for your expertise and thank you, Mike, for your speedy attentiveness.

Good luck better understanding the issue between PHP 5.4, Godaddy, and PowerPress. If I can assist in any way by providing steps to reproduce or anything, let me know.

I have gone back and changed all references to my link, so don't worry about my security ;)

Make it a great day!

PS i would have sent this message sooner, but I had to wait 1200 (20 minutes?) before I could.

I also thought it would be good to show the steps to accomplish the manual downgrade via godaddy's hosting control panel...
https://support.godaddy.com/help/article/3937/viewing-or-changing-your-php-language-version
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 06:46:47 pm by pfgwm »

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 09:12:41 am »
We've escalated the issue with Godaddy.

As soon as you can run PHP 5.4 you should, don't want to ask folks to downgrade to 5.3, there are real benefits to running the latest versions. We have seen serious performance increases when we upgraded from PHP 5.4 to 5.5.

pfgwm

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 11:42:32 am »
Angelo,

I understand your point, however, my hands are currently tied. Powerpress will not function properly under Godaddy's PHP 5.4 setup (on the particular linux server I am on). Hopefully it all gets sorted out now that you've escalated the issue. If you need me to temporarily switch back to 5.4 so you/they can test something, let me know. Happy to do so. I just needed to get this working right away since this is a live site.

Regards,
Jason

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 11:49:20 am »
Does your account allow you to create sub-domains? You may be able to create a sub-domain test site with powerpress installed with PHP 5.4. Really we should be able to see some error message if we setup WordPress in such a sandbox with debugging enabled.