Author Topic: Blubrry Player Stopped working, I cry  (Read 909 times)

Art Monkey

Blubrry Player Stopped working, I cry
« on: January 12, 2015, 07:03:13 am »
I've been using the player for two years and had no problems and all of the sudden any video with the shortcode "powerpress url" doesn't work. Saw the other posts and clearly it's not me and clearly something changed with the player. I have a media site and tons of plugins. Since I'm the only one running the place I don't real have any inclination to do the "plugin pokey" for 5 hours turning things on and off.

What is sorta irksome is while something like this won't work anymore:

[powerpress url ="http://somesite.com/folder/coolvideo.flv"]

THIS WILL!

[video src = "http://somesite.com/folder/coolvideo.flv"]

So come on guys and gals. Can we get back the BluBrry we love? I already installed a new video player and converted most of my library over but I thought I would go ahead and make an account here JUST TO SEE if I can get some response and maybe not delete Blubrry and forget about it for a while.

To be clear, I love it and it's been flawless for my purposes for over 2 years. With this kind of hokey pokey I don't have the time to sit and do massive debugs.

Thoughts welcome!

Art

charlesw

Re: Blubrry Player Stopped working, I cry
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 02:39:00 pm »
Would you share your website link and the post where this is not working?

It is hard to fix it if we can't see it.

You mentioned a file ending in "FLV". The player supports mp3, m4a, ogg, opus. I don't believe it works for Flash or FLV files.

If you share more info, we may be able to help out.

Art Monkey

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 04:09:49 pm »
Would you share your website link and the post where this is not working?

It is hard to fix it if we can't see it.

You mentioned a file ending in "FLV". The player supports mp3, m4a, ogg, opus. I don't believe it works for Flash or FLV files.

If you share more info, we may be able to help out.

Charles,

... and I mean this in the nicest way but who is this "we" you are talking about? You personally? Your account seems pretty new. Are you one of the devs? I think I mentioned a lot of information the first time around and you seem to be re-asking questions I answered. If you take what I wrote at face value you might surmise this :

I already had Blubrry working with Flash files (my example shows me using the file type I am referring to). If that wasn't clear - fair enough - now it is. Also, I gave two cases, one that worked and one that didn't under those conditions. Maybe someone can tell me why THAT would happen in the first place?

You can "see" the things I'm talking by making an exact example with your version of Blurbrry and see if it works. But there's the rub right? Do you want to take the time to set up a sample and test it a few different ways? Maybe, maybe not; but you're busy and so am I. That's why I'm posting here. I'm only willing to debug so far and I have already looked through the forums and the standard answer seems to be this:

"Oh, something wrong with BluBrry? Probably your theme, check here"
http://create.blubrry.com/resources/powerpress/using-powerpress/diagnosing-feed-andor-player-issues-with-powerpress/ 

I think I also mentioned I'm not really down with spending hours on plugin debug when I have a running paid site and other things to do during the day. Now, please realize I already switched over all my videos (which was a pain), I already DID the best amount of checking I could given my time and resources. My reasons were simple:

I saw a few posts with people and my problem
http://forum.blubrry.com/index.php/topic,6037.0.html
http://forum.blubrry.com/index.php/topic,6050.0.html
http://forum.blubrry.com/index.php/topic,6034.0.html
http://forum.blubrry.com/index.php/topic,6036.0.html

I saw the dev team admit "something changed"
Go to audio player and check which player is selected? We removed some flash players, that may be the cause.

Basically, either something changed in Wordpress and/or something was removed from Blubrry. My theme was working fine with Blubrry in December and now it's not. I don't have any 'open' pages for people to debug and those that are under my pay wall are already changed over as of this morning.

So why am I even here? Well, it's like I said. I have benefited from Blubrry for two years and wanted to go this route at least once and see if I can get the thing working again. If not, I have to move on.

Art
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:34:20 pm by Art Monkey »

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 08:08:48 pm »
Flowplayer classic could play flv files directly in a flash only based player. Flow player classic has been replaced with mediaelement.js player in 5.0.10. Flow player had a vulnerability and the flash player is no longer being developed so we had no choice but to remove it.

I thought mediaelement could play flv files as well, as long as you have flash installed in your browser.

Flv is a flash player format, it will never work on mobile devices since adobe abandoned making a mobile version of flash. Hence others recommending you not use flv.

If you can reply with a link to a page where its not working I can take a look. It kay just be a JavaScript error causing the problem.

Art Monkey

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 04:12:57 pm »
Flowplayer classic could play flv files directly in a flash only based player. Flow player classic has been replaced with mediaelement.js player in 5.0.10. Flow player had a vulnerability and the flash player is no longer being developed so we had no choice but to remove it.

I thought mediaelement could play flv files as well, as long as you have flash installed in your browser.

Flv is a flash player format, it will never work on mobile devices since adobe abandoned making a mobile version of flash. Hence others recommending you not use flv.

If you can reply with a link to a page where its not working I can take a look. It kay just be a JavaScript error causing the problem.

Angelo,

Thank you for the reply and very helpful answer. The million dollar question I have which seems obvious from your answer but perhaps I'm mistake is this. Can YOU guys at Blubrry play Flash (.flv) files under both the conditions above? If you can't then you know I won't be able to. I tested and know I can play it like this:

[video src = "http://somesite.com/folder/coolvideo.flv"]

That works, I tested it and it is fine. This version however does not:

[powerpress url ="http://somesite.com/folder/coolvideo.flv"]

In your answer you use the phrase  "I thought mediaelement could play flv files as well, as long as you have flash installed in your browser."

Did you and the gang over there actually test this yourselves and get it to work with the shortcode? If you didn't this is all a moot point since I already mentioned I converted my videos over to another player and am not really in a position to start a debug channel with you guys. I'd love to see this fixed but at the same time there's my time and resources to consider too.

At any rate, from what you are telling me - which I GREATLY appreciate, is this...
  • Blubrrry has had a significant change that affects users with .flv's.
  • It also looks like you yourselves aren't too sure out if flv files can or cant be played with the primary shortcode command [powerpress]
I also mentioned all this used to work with my theme up until the last update. I dunno, unless you can tell me that the above shortcode works for your flv's then the Occam's razor is pointing to Blubrry and not my theme or Java or anything else.

At any rate - thank you again for the post and I'm curious about your experience with Blubrry and flv files. If they work then something is clearly being triggered in a lot of different sites and themes to make BluBrry not work.

Best,

Art

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 04:46:35 pm »
I cannot test with http://somesite.com/folder/coolvideo.flv You still haven't provided any links.

When you edit your forum reply, you should see this above:

All I need is a link to your web site. Believe it or not this information is helpful, it is why we have at the top of the edit forum post the section titled "When asking for help, please include the following:" where we ask for your links and also note Do not provide pseudo or fake information. If there's bug we will fix it, don't feel imposed to write paragraph after paragraph implying otherwise, just give us a link so we can diagnose it. I will personally test your web page(s) you share and/or test with your media files, what ever it takes to figure out the problem.

Art Monkey

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 06:09:06 pm »
I cannot test with http://somesite.com/folder/coolvideo.flv You still haven't provided any links.

All I need is a link to your web site. Believe it or not this information is helpful, it is why we have at the top of the edit forum post the section titled "When asking for help, please include the following:" where we ask for your links and also note Do not provide pseudo or fake information. If there's bug we will fix it, don't feel imposed to write paragraph after paragraph implying otherwise, just give us a link so we can diagnose it. I will personally test your web page(s) you share and/or test with your media files, what ever it takes to figure out the problem.

Angelo,

Thanks buddy and no need for giant .png's. I saw that the first time around. I know what you are asking for but I'm not in a position at the moment to get you those for a couple reasons, one of them being I'm on the road and the other being I already converted all my videos as I said already. I also said I was not in a position to do debugging for you and mentioned I didn't want to do that. Not trying to be snarky but did you read any of that? I'm not writing paragraph after paragraph for nothing. I'm explaining my situation which you seem to only see as "Why can't he give me a link!?!?"

You of course, did not answer my question at all. Have you gotten .flv's to work in all situations on your sites?

I kinda see where this is going and it looks like this will just go down as "my problem" and though I may be wrong you seem reluctant to do anything unless you can look at my site. You actually can answer my question but won't for whatever reason. I'm simply asking if Blubrry works for you with the shortcode and flv's. Can you answer that or not? If it does then I'm much more prone to set up test examples. The onus is not really on me anymore since I have moved on and moving back is only worth it is I feel you guys are meeting me somewhat halfway.

Regardless, it's your plugin, your site and your forum. I'm done explaining my situation. I won't pursue the matter any further and thanks for the response.

Best,

Art

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 07:19:50 pm »
Give me a URL to your site, I can find a link to one of your flv files and test with it.

Art Monkey

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 07:58:25 pm »
Give me a URL to your site, I can find a link to one of your flv files and test with it.

Angelo,

In the nicest way possible I can say this, I'm done. You clearly haven't read or paid attention to my above posts. You have not answered my questions. I don't have any current .flv's (as I stated previously) using your plugin so it's a moot point as far as I'm concerned. You looking for things to debug while at the same time blatantly ignoring my question has crossed over to a clear statement things will be done your way and no other. That's not really customer service as much as stubbornness. I get the gnawing feeling you think you are doing me a favor or something. Perhaps I'm wrong but the more we talk the more I feel that way. Forgive me if i'm incorrect.

Fair enough, you're busy, I get it. Please go back and read my last posts when you have some time and you will see why that is not happening. Realize I'm busy and can't do what you are asking at the moment since it would involve a rigmarole of setting up an opening in the paywall just for you to test. If you have read my other posts and understood you would know that. You would also know that I am on a trip at the moment so that is not happening. You will also understand that I'm moving on. I'll check back from time to time and if things get better, then awesome. If not, no worries.

Best of luck and thank you for the time.

Art

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 08:15:26 pm »
I have no idea where your web site is. I'm asking for your web site URL to test.