Author Topic: Google Analytics Integration  (Read 2309 times)

cspowers

Google Analytics Integration
« on: November 16, 2014, 05:36:27 am »
Greetings,

I use the powerpress plugin to manage the podcast feed for my Americana Music Show <http://americanamusicshow.com> podcast and it's working great. I have a category feed set up and I'm using the new MediaElement.js player.

Is there any sort of Google Analytics integration with the MediaElement.js player (or any of the players for that matter.)

One thing I'd really like to track is conversions of first time site visitors to episode plays. So it would be very helpful if the player could be configured to send an event to my google analytics property ID when someone hits the play button on the player (or downloads the MP3 file in some other way.)

Is that possible at all? If so, consider this a feature request. :-)

Thanks for a fantastic plugin,
Calvin Powers

Todd

• Administrator
Re: Google Analytics Integration
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 01:05:05 pm »
There is no way to currently do that, but I understand what your trying to achieve. Being the MediaElements.js player is the same player bundled by WordPress you may want to ask around on the WordPress forums.

I will ask Angelo if this can be supported in PowerPress.

I assume also you are using our free podcast statistics as we break out plays on a day by day basis which would not be perfect but it may give you a running total.
http://create.blubrry.com/resources/podcast-media-download-statistics/

Todd

mc

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 05:10:00 am »
What we have done using wordpress is to install a GA plugin and specify it to listen to .mp3 downloads as events.

Todd

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 09:59:47 am »
FWIW we do break out on page plays, within out stats and have for quite a long time..

Todd..

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 03:54:48 pm »
You can continue to use Google Analytics to capture events in the page, no problem with that, but as you soon compare that data with Blubrry Statistics you will find that your web plays is only a small subset of your total podcast downloads. You cannot use Google Analytics to track what happens in podcasting apps, it only tracks what's happening on your web site.