Author Topic: Featured image ads two media enclosures to feed, breaks ability to play episodes  (Read 1402 times)

PaulIsLoud

Hello,

We are just getting up and running with PowerPress, and have run in to an issue. Here is our feed: http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/feed/podcast/

As you can see, shows 960 and 961 have featured images and have two media enclosure elements. If you look here at our feedburner feed (http://feeds.feedburner.com/ThePeoplesPharmacy), you'll see that those two episodes are not playable. The previous episodes with no featured image are playable.

So, we need to be able to include featured images in our podcast posts, but we also need our podcast feed to work.

In the 'Artwork' tab in the plugin, I have checked iTunes Episode Image: Use image above, but that doesn't solve the issue.

Input would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Paul

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
How are you putting the featured image into the post?  It looks like however you are doing it, it's causing to become an enclosure.  As you stated, when there is more than one enclosure, it can cause the mp3 not to be the primary one in feed readers and podcatchers. 

You should have no problem if you just put the picture in the post using wordpress's media upload instead of however you are doing it now.

-Mike

PaulIsLoud

Hi Mike,

We are using the Wordpress featured image feature. If we simply embed the image in the post instead of using the featured image it will cause the image not to show in our archive template.

To clarify, are you saying that we can't use the standard Wordpress feature of including a featured image in the post if we want to use PowerPress?

Thanks,
Paul

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Featured images in the posts are one thing, images in your feed is another. You more than likely have some plugin or code in your theme putting those images in your feed, use these instructions (http://create.blubrry.com/resources/powerpress/using-powerpress/diagnosing-feed-andor-player-issues-with-powerpress/) to diagnose, once you get rid of those images that are adding extra enclosure tags you should be all set.

PaulIsLoud

Ok, thanks for the tip. Found the plugin responsible and fixed it.

Best,
Paul

Todd

• Administrator
What plugin was the culprit, we like to reach out to plugin developers when they have these issues.

Todd..

PaulIsLoud

The plugin that I used is SB RSS Feed +, however, there's some backstory that will probably be relevant:

* We use MailChimp to power our newsletter
* We use MCs RSS shortcodes + Wordpress RSS feeds of specific tags to populate our newsletters with content
* To make images show in MC RSS shortcode-powered emails, you need to add images to your RSS feed, as Wordpress does not offer this natively
* SB RSS Feed + was the highest recommended plugin I found to suit this purpose
* Here is a screenshot of the relevant settings: http://screencast.com/t/WvoEtKt6ve
 - As you can see, you can opt to include <media:content> and not <enclosure>, which was perfect for me, as I need <media:content> for MailChimp, but need to NOT have <enclosure> for PowerPress

This all comes on the heels of a website relaunch, so now we should finally be set on our newsletter and podcast.

Thanks for your support and the great plugin!

Best,
Paul
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 05:10:42 am by PaulIsLoud »

Todd

• Administrator
Thanks for the follow up.

This is one of the reasons I use the "free" GoogleGroups in "mail only" mode to send my newsletter. A simple cut and past of the show notes into an email and press send. I have been sending the show newsletter out like this for a very long time. Easy, fast and it provides to the audience members a clean email not full of fluff to waste their time.