Author Topic: Issue with enclosure / podcast URL disappearing on article publication  (Read 4979 times)

smexaminer

Hi everyone,

We have had the most strange bug for some time.  When an article publishes with a podcast, the URL to the Libsyn file magically seems to disappear.  The odd thing is this happens about 75% of the time, not all the time.

We do the typical procedure: paste in the media URL and verify.  We even check multiple times with our editorial staff to make sure the link is there and that PowerPress plays in preview mode.  But the day the post publishes the darn link to the media goes missing and we freak out and have to fix it.

We are using PowerPress 5.0.9 and WordPress 3.7.4.  Because our site is rather large (SocialMediaExaminer.com) we try to avoid running WordPress updates often, but could that be the issue.  We are running state of the art servers and systems.

A bit more data:

podcast: http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/category/podcast-episodes/
today's post: http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/vine-short-videos-with-zach-king/
media URL: http://traffic.libsyn.com/socialmediamarketing/SocialMediaMarketing-108-14-08-29.mp3

I am totally perplexed and we have fully ruled out human error.  Thoughts??
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:35:01 am by smexaminer »

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: Issue with enclosure / podcast URL disappearing on article publication
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 05:02:21 pm »
I would suggest updating wordpress / powerpress and see if that fixes the problem.

-Mike

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 05:20:36 pm »
You may have a theme or plugin conflicting, diagnose with these instructions: http://create.blubrry.com/resources/powerpress/using-powerpress/diagnosing-feed-andor-player-issues-with-powerpress/

Make sure LibSyn is not setup to post to your blog, they may be doing something using the Blog API (XML-RPC).

If PowerPress is ever disabled, it is possible for WordPress to delete the episode, as the default WordPress behavior is to delete enclosures when they are not linked in the blog post content.

Running out of date versions of WordPress is a very bad idea. Usually updates are specifically for security reasons. I am aware 3.7.4 includes a security patch as well, but there's no guarantee every patch to WordPress current (3.9.x) is in 3.7.4. Run at your own risk as they say.

As for PowerPress, there's nothing specific in it that will make it work or not work based on WP Version. Current requirement is WP 3.2 for PowerPress.

tomfrankly

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 08:08:10 am »
I am also having this problem.

For me, it seems that the post loses its episode data if I schedule it to be published at a certain time.

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 08:27:55 am »
Are you running the latest versions of Wordpress and Powerpress? 

-Mike

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 09:30:27 am »
There may be a bug in WordPress where it is not including the filter PowerPress adds.

The next episode you release, put a link in your post content to the media file (in addition to the link to the media in the podcast Media URL field). If PowerPress's enclosure filter is not intercepting WordPress, WordPress will automatically delete enclsoure's unless the media URL is already in the blog post, so this will demonstrate if this is the problem.

smexaminer

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 09:20:23 am »
I have since updated to the latest WordPress 4.01 and PowePress 5.09 and am still having the same issues.  Could it be a plugin conflict?

And Angela, to be clear we should go ahead and paste the enclosure URL somewhere in the post (like the end) in addition to pasting it into the Podcast plugin field?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 09:35:19 am »
Yes, the next time do this:

1. Put the URL in the blog post content
2. Put the URL in the Media URL field

MAKE SURE YOU DO BOTH.

If it disappears after the scheduled time with this scenario, then there's something else at play. If it works correctly, then the logic in WordPress is kicking in and adding/removing enclosures.

The result form this precise test is needed so I know what direction to go in.

smexaminer

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 09:07:43 am »
Hey Angelo,

Ok, so I did what you suggested and this time it DID publish correctly.  Now that you have this knowledge what is the next step?

Mike

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 11:02:46 am »
I would recommend you always put a link in your blog post content from this point on, as you have some other plugin that is re-enabling the functionality built into WordPress which deletes enclosures when the link is not in the blog post content.

smexaminer

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 11:17:21 am »
Do you have a list of known plugins that cause this issue?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 11:21:50 am »
Wordpress originally caused the issue, and by enabling PowerPress we replaced that filter without own that prevents this from happening. Last i looked there were 27,000 plugins, we can't test them all sorry. Not to throw a wrench in this, but it can also be a theme causing the problem.

jffgldr

• Rookie
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 05:05:28 pm »
I was having the same problem...came here looking for answers. Deactivated plugins until I found the culprit. In my case it was WordPress SEO by Yoast. Hope this helps someone else.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 09:07:07 pm »
In powerpress under appearance tab try one of of the "try to fix" options.

jffgldr

• Rookie
I thought I had resolved the issue of my podcasts not showing in the post. They appear in the excerpt, but not the post. When this occurred earlier, I deactivated all other plugins and and the podcasts reappeared. Adding back plugins, they disappeared when Wordpress SEO by Yoast was added back. Deactivated Yoast again...podcasts reappeared back in the posts.
Now they're gone again, the above procedure does not work this time. I can manually place the podcast url in the post, and it appears (without the download and other links).  If I manually place the podcast shortcode in the post, the podcast appears correctly.
I do not think the theme is the culprit, because I am running Blubrry on this same theme on other sites, without any issue.
Any ideas?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 12:26:09 pm by jffgldr »