Author Topic: 2 Feeds displaying same podcast  (Read 587 times)

paulmurwin

2 Feeds displaying same podcast
« on: August 19, 2014, 08:08:42 am »
Good Morning!

I started a podcast a couple of months ago called the

100 Percent Translations Podcast

And it was working fine.

then I started, last week, another podcast called

100 Percent Business English Podcast

As they are related, I wanted them on the same site, so I have been trying to set up category podcasting.  It seemed to work OK for the new podcast, just the one episode is showing on iTunes and all the artwork is fine etc.

The problem is with the original podcast.

In itunes, it is showing not only the 6 episodes from that show that should be there, but is also somehow showing the new new Business English podcast as well!

I think this is due to a redirect issue.

I redirected www.100percentlanguages.com/feed/podcast to http://www.100percentlanguages.com/category/100percenttranslationspodcast/

So i thought it was all going to be OK, but the problem can still be seen on iTunes here (there are 7 episodes, should only be 6):

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/100-percent-translations-podcast/id890253488?mt=2

I have come to the conclusion that it must be one of the following 2 things:

1.   I have done everything right and it will just take iTunes a couple of days to update.
2.  I am missing something!

So, I would really appreciate your help on this.  It is quite frustrating to have something live that you want to change.

Thanks very much, all the best,
Paul

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: 2 Feeds displaying same podcast
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 09:23:17 am »
When you add a category podcast to an existing website with an existing podcast using the default feed, all the podcasts (including any category podcasts) will go in that default feed.

I normally suggest people use Podcast Channels ( http://create.blubrry.com/resources/powerpress/advanced-tools-and-options/podcast-channels/ ) instead of category podcasting as it seems much easier to keep thing seperate.

What you could do is create a channel for your second podcast and do a redirect of the category feed to the new channel feed.   Move the episode(s) of the second podcast from the main channel to the new channel.  Then iTunes will update the category feed to the channel feed an all will sort itself out after a week or two.

-Mike

paulmurwin

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 01:40:56 pm »
Hi Mike,

Thanks very much for your response.

So, am I right in thinking this is not going to sort itself out on its own?

I used category podcasting because I understood this was the way to go for separate podcasts, and that you were supposed to use the podcast channels for different formats of the same podcast.

Is there any way to put right what I have done?  Or is there no way that the redirect is going to work in this case?  ie, will it always pick up all of the podcasts?

If possible, I would prefer to work through what I have done up to this point, rather than starting again with podcast channels and possibly making even more of a mess....but if this is my only option I will of course do it.

Thanks again for all of your help.

All the best,
Paul

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 06:01:14 pm »
No, it's not going to fix itself. 

You will want to make a channel for your second show and then put in a redirect from the old category feed to the new channel feed.  And if you redirected the main feed, I would redirect it back from where it's pointing.

-Mike