Author Topic: [Powerpress] Display links to download, not player  (Read 5777 times)

robblatt

• Community Advocate
[Powerpress] Display links to download, not player
« on: February 22, 2009, 09:26:49 am »
From what I've tested, it's not possible to display the download link without displaying the blubrry player. I would like the ability for someone to open the video in a new window and download it without having the player present.

Usage: This is for a site that is using an embedded player from blip.tv, youtube or viddler, but is still a functioning podcast.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: [Powerpress] Display links to download, not player
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 08:27:02 pm »
Powerpress does not have the ability to know what the embed codes should be from viddler, youtube or blip.tv programatically. At present the only option is the player you see or no pop up player at all. Such integration with these 3 services is possible and I will add it to the feature TODO list but keep in mind a feature like this would be very complicated, much more than the default player you see now. The only way I could think of still keeping it simple would be to add another field in the podcast page where you enter your 'embed' code from one of the video sharing sites. Would this be an acceptable way of integrating the embed code to use in pop up windows?

robblatt

• Community Advocate
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 08:49:42 pm »
If PowerPress doesn't display anyvideo at all, that would be the ideal. I'm using custom fields to display video anyway. I'm talking about the ability to not show the video player, but show the links to download or open in a new window.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 12:09:39 am »
Okay, I am confused, I think you want one of the following two scenarios:

1. The play in new window to display a download link
2. The play in new window to play the video

I don't understand the value of popping up a window to display a download link. Option 2 can be achieved by setting the "Player Function" setting to "New Window Only".

Is 1 or 2 what you want or am I misunderstanding?

robblatt

• Community Advocate
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 09:41:52 am »
I'm talking about displaying the "download" and "play in new window" links without displaying the player.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 12:17:33 pm »
Boy I would love to have a phone conversation because this would be cleared up within 1/2 a minute. Since this is a forum thread conversation this will take time before we are 100% in understanding.

So if I understand, you want the 'play in new window' link, but you don't want the video to play in the new window with the default flash player, you don't want a download link in this new window, and you don't want the embed code provided from either blip.tv, youtube or viddler in this new window. So what do you want in this 'play in new window'?

You can call me at 614-429-4474 or Skype: AngeloMandato

robblatt

• Community Advocate
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 12:56:11 pm »
I'm an idiot! Please disregard thie thread!

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 01:19:22 pm »
No problems, this was a good process though and Brian has given me some recommendations how to re-title these settings.