Author Topic: playback issues  (Read 2030 times)

djbuddha

playback issues
« on: February 18, 2009, 09:13:24 pm »
I have no idea if this is a Blubrry issue or some other issue but here goes.

We're using Blubrry to power our podcast here: http://www.dharmarealm.com/

The Flash player seems to work for some people, but not for others. It plays back with static and stuttering, as if there's a network issue or something. For example, it works like a charm at my house and my wife's office. It sounds terrible at my office and my podcast cohost's house. Go figure.

The files themselves are fine. Downloading them directly (either through the site or from some other place like here or iTunes) works great. Sound not an issue.

I've had a long back-and-forth with the host company, and they insist that it's not their issue, that there may be something wrong with the network connection between certain locations and their server farm. Or it could be an issue with the Flash plugin.

My cohost is convinced that it's a plugin issue. Me? Not so much.

Since the playback problems are not universal, effecting some folks but not others, my question is twofold: is it effecting you? and does anyone have any bright ideas?

Thanks

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: playback issues
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 10:57:31 am »
This is a problem with flash and how it handles non standard sample rates.

I took a quick look at your media, and your sample rate is 48KHz, which is not standard. The standard rates are 11Khz, 22Khz and 44Khz. In cases where the sample rate is lower than 44kHz, your audio will play back with a chipmunk effect. When the sample rate is over 44KHz (Like in your case) you observe background static and sometimes some chipping sounds in the playback. Newer versions of Flash handle the sample rates better, but requires you to tell your listeners to upgrade flash on their computer. We recommend that you simply re-encode your mp3s at either 22KHz or 44Khz to solve the problem.

I believe you can use a freeware application called RazorLame to quickly change the sample rate of your mp3s. You can get it here: http://www.dors.de/razorlame/

If you want to double check that this is the issue, please try another flash player plugin such as the WP Audio Player and then ask your listeners who were having the problem if they still have the problem with the other player.

djbuddha

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 11:44:09 am »
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure that's the issue, though. Here's some more details.

I actually used to use WP Audio Player and had the exact same issue. In fact, I switched to blurburry and its default audio player in the hopes that that would fix the problem, but it had no effect.

All of these files worked fine last Friday. On Sunday, they suddenly started having problems. If it was a sample rate, wouldn't they have always had this problem?

And here's the kicker. My office uses the latest version of Adobe's Flash player. It's here that I'm having a playback problem. My home computer, on the other hand, uses an older version of Flash. No playback problem! Which, of course, raises the question: is this an issue with Flash's latest release?

Lastly, if it's a sample rate/flash incompatibility, wouldn't it effect everyone? Not just some users?

Regardless, I'll send this response off to my cohost who actually mixes the episodes and see what he thinks.

Oh, and can I assume that when you listened to this podcast, the sound was an issue? Just trying to get a sense of a real number of users who have issues with the sound.

Thanks

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 12:44:36 pm »
Flash is a common issue that goes way back. I first discovered the chipmunk problem back in the fall of 2005. There are many factors with flash, including which version of flash they are using, what browser and operating system they are using and possibly even the sound card. I can tell you that playback in Firefox on my computer works fine, though in IE and Chrome i get the poor sound like you reported. As far as I know I have the latest Flash installed on my computer and all three browsers should be using it. I do know that when you use one of the sample rates mentioned above the problem is fixed for all versions of flash.

djbuddha

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 01:32:23 pm »
Well I know when to say I was wrong. I resampled one, older episode and you were right! It's the sample rate.

Thanks for the help!