Author Topic: From Wordpress / Powerpress to Squarespace  (Read 2984 times)

Aggiejc

From Wordpress / Powerpress to Squarespace
« on: July 14, 2014, 04:47:24 pm »
Hi all,

I hosted our website www.healthnutsanonymous.com through Wordpress and recently made the switch to Squarespace.  Our podcast and feed was all done through Powerpress.  With the feed now coming through Squarespace, we have 2 feeds and 2 subscription options on the Itunes store, which is a problem.  Is there a way I can redirect the old feed to the new one so we don't lose our subscribers? Is that the wrong question to ask? I'm a bit in over my head with this stuff, I just need to make sure we have one feed, and one option on the Itunes store.

If this question has already been discussed, please link!

Thanks,

Jay

Todd

• Administrator
Re: From Wordpress / Powerpress to Squarespace
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 08:31:01 pm »
The best course of action is to ask Apple to remove the new listing. Then ask them to update the old one with the new feed address. You can email them at podcast@apple.com

You no longer can get our stats on the new feed, and the squarespace feed is less than perfect for podcasting.  What made you switch to their platform when you had full control of your website and podcast ready feed to begin with?

Also who is hosting your media now?

Todd

Aggiejc

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 03:52:23 pm »
Thanks for the insight Todd.  Sorry for the late response - I work shift work and just got back. 

We switched because Squarespace seemed more convenient as we wanted to improve our website but have no web / programming experience or knowledge.  Our media was hosted by Libsyn, and still is.  Also, I was incorrect about squarespace, we actually used Bluehost for wordpress, and still use them to host the new squarespace site (2 years left).

I read this article by Blubrry which says to do a 301 redirect http://create.blubrry.com/manual/syndicating-your-podcast-rss-feeds/changing-your-podcast-rss-feed-address-url/

That seems like exactly what we need to do.  My only question is, we already do a general 301 redirect through Bluehost (using this tutorial http://help.squarespace.com/guides/domain-mapping-with-bluehost) to redirect the wordpress site to squarespace - Is that enough? I feel like it's not, and that I should be changing the website a different way, and using the 301 redirect for the podcast feed links... but I'm not sure. 

Thanks again,

Jay

Todd

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 03:58:40 pm »
You only need to implement the 301 from the old feed to the new feed.  But it sounds like you still have a dual listing on iTunes that you will need to fix...

Aggiejc

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 04:31:21 pm »
Okay, thanks, I redirect the podcast feed url's through Bluehost's 301 redirect.  I will email Itunes about the double feed listing. 

Hopefully this works.

Jay

Kevin Coy

• Rookie
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 04:38:39 am »
You only need to implement the 301 from the old feed to the new feed.  But it sounds like you still have a dual listing on iTunes that you will need to fix...

How do you 301 Todd?

Shawn Thorpe

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 10:24:40 am »
Kevin - sorry for the super late reply on this.

If you need to implement a 301 redirect on a Squarespace feed, you'll probably want to contact Squarespace support for that.

Otherwise, we have some information here that may be helpful:
https://create.blubrry.com/manual/syndicating-your-podcast-rss-feeds/changing-your-podcast-rss-feed-address-url/