Author Topic: One podcast feed with new episodes having different file types?  (Read 616 times)

HSeldon29k

Hi all,

I have a couple questions for a change I am considering trying to implement on a clients website. They are currently producing their podcasts as m4a files with images set for chapters, which are not playing properly across multiple browsers (seems to work fine with Firefox but not Chrome or IE, and only Safari with Quicktime installed). If they were to switch to producing episodes as a video  (such as a .mov), does that mean they would have to start an entirely new feed/podcast for the .mov episodes? Am I correct in thinking you could not just drop a .mov file in the corresponding media URL slot and it would get picked up correctly in the current podcast feed that has past episodes as .m4a files?

I guess the main problem is that I doubt they would want to start over with  an entirely new podcast just to start making episodes as videos. Is this the only way to do it?

(just to clarify- I don't want to have multiple file types for each episode. I just want to have a podcast that has different episodes using not the same file type)

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: One podcast feed with new episodes having different file types?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 09:27:22 am »
Do not use .MOV..  Use mp4 or m4v (see: http://create.blubrry.com/manual/creating-podcast-media/video/h-264-mp4-m4v-tips/ )

MOV will require the video be downloaded completely before it will start playing. 

As far as the feed goes, you can mix types.  only issue with that is if someone is subscribed in iTunes or mobile apps, and they are expecting a small audio file, and get a HUGE video file, they will likely be unhappy and unsubscribe.

-Mike