Author Topic: Backup and redeploy to same URL after hack -migrate to same domain name-  (Read 720 times)

nfable

Hi, I've my WP has been compromised on an older site of mine.

I've resolved to scorch Earth it by frying the account in cPanel / emptying databases, then reinstalling fresh WP, and replacing the needed bits of powerpress so I don't miss a beat with existing episodes / URL structure / iTunes listing.  Reason for nuking is I believe other plugins may be compromised.

What is the best way to go about this?

thx for any ideas,
Ryan

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Back up your database..

Do just as you said and restore the database.. 

All the URLS should be the same afterwards.

-Mike

nfable

Thanks Mike, but I think some of my dB tables for other plugins may be compromised as well, so to simply do a full WP dB dump wouldn't eradicate that... but thank you for that focus, it allow me to re-frame my question:

What tables (if any) are specific to Powerpress & my podcasts (other than the standard WP tables) should I ensure on backing up to later restore?

thx

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
I will have to defer to Angelo on that one.  He should answer in this thread.  I will point it out to him :)

-Mike

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
The database does not contain executable code of any sort (unless a plugin allows for this and if they did you would not want that plugin). There should be no need to "nuke" the database tables or the data.

You can though take the SQL file of the database dump and scan it with malware and anti-virus software just to be on  the same side.

Files stored in the wp-content folder (and all the sub folders) is more likely to have compromised data. Depending on the write permissions on the server, anything can be infected including themes, plugins and other config files. Please search the web for tips how to deal with that as that topic is beyond what we discuss here in the blubrry forums.

As far as PowerPress is concerned, as long as you deleted the plugins/powerpress folder and re-install it from wordpress.org you're all set. As for PowePress database records, settings are stored in the options table, all options are prefixed with powerpress_. Episode data is stored in the post meta table in the filed name "enclosure". If you had custom podcast channels or custom post type podcasting enabled in PowerPress, additional channel/post type episode information would be stored with a prefix _enclosure