Author Topic: Can PowerPress allow me to publish two separate podcasts on 1 WP site  (Read 3014 times)

JimHarold

I have made the jump to PowerPress...thanks for picking up where PodPress left off!

Here is my question.  I have a successful podcast that I publish .I want to add a second podcast that posts on the same WP site but that has a different podcast feed and doesn't interfere with my original podcast feed at all...so listeners can choose to subscribe to one or both of the series independently.

Can PowerPress do this and, if so, how would I implement it and is there any documentation to help me do this?  My biggest concern is to not in any way mess up my current show or feed which has built a nice little following.

Thanks again,

Jim Harold
http://jimharold.com

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: Can PowerPress allow me to publish two separate podcasts on 1 WP site
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 06:18:08 pm »
If your two separate podcasts have no overlap, the topics covered not related to each other at all, or each podcast has completely different branding (web site colors, logos, etc...) then you would not want to host 2 podcasts on one WordPress blog. Your sidebar categories, tags, search results, etc... would be combined into one blog and would confuse your audience. You would be better served having 2 separate WordPress blogs for this scenario.

If you're creating a second podcast that is related and the branding is very similar then you can use PowerPress to add the additional podcast to your current blog. Here's an example: Your main podcast is on rock and roll and your new 2nd podcast is on rock and roll from the 1960's only. You can create a custom podcast feed for your second podcast and create a special WordPress page to be the landing page for that niche podcast.

Instructions: Use PowerPress in Advanced Mode; Add a new Custom Feed; Create a WordPress page to be your Custom Feed's landing page.

JimHarold

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 12:48:15 pm »
Angelo,

The second scenario is mine...both podcasts are related and co-branded but I want to give the audience to subscribe to just one or both...thanks and I will give this a try.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 03:50:28 pm »
Awesome! When you have it up and running, please feel free to reply with a link to your blog so we can see it in action!

JimHarold

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 10:48:56 pm »
Well, it is up and running which is fantastic!  Only one question...it is appearing in the feed for my primary show in addition to the custom feed...is there anyway to exclude it from that primary feed?

My site is http://jimharold.com

Originally, the mp3 showed up in the custom feed only but there was no download link or player in the post...I added the mp3 to the enclosure field on the post and that did get the player & download link to show up but also it caused the mp3 to show up in my primary podcast feed (which I do not want).

I could always do it the first way and manually insert a player and download link...what am I missing?

Thanks for all of your help and a great plugin!

Jim
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 07:13:18 am by JimHarold »

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 02:06:50 pm »
You don't have to add the media URL to both podcast episode boxes. Just add the Media url to the custom feed and you should be all set.

The next version 0.8.0 will include an option to display the custom feeds in the blog posts, which will solve the other problem you observed with the player only appearing if the media is tied to the main podcast episode field.