Author Topic: Dilemma! Recreating WP Site, But Offline...And How PowerPress Figures In It All  (Read 877 times)

velanche

Hello There:
I've read through similar topics, but not sure if this one is buried deep within the forums, so I thought I might as well write it out here.

I have a web site that I've been running since 2005 at velanche.com, home of my radio show. It's gone through a few iterations, and I had eventually replaced PodPress with PowerPress. Right now, there are two categories that I have it linked to: Playtime, my current show, and my old radio show, which I have archived under the category "podcasts."

Some of the inner core of WP has been a mess for a long time; for instance, I'm unable to test out themes privately. So I want to not only swap to a new design based on the Twenty Thirteen theme (and make a child theme out of that), but I want to gut out as much of the old as possible and replace it fresh.

What I've done was to set up MAMP on my Mac. Afterwards, I've exported from my hosted site, then imported the content to the MAMPified site I've set up. When go through my playlists,  what isn't there are the PowerPress links, which makes sense.

But what doesn't make sense to me is this: when I'm done with the design that I'm created on the MAMP version of the site, and then replace the WP on my hosted site with it, how can I do it in a way where I can re-establish the PP links to the pages I exported out of it and into MAMP? I hope you are following the dots, because I'm confusing myself!

I'm willing to gut my hosted content, but I have a feeling that the databases in some way will have to be exported, then imported successfully into MAMP, and then, once all is working, export everything to the hosted site. It may be crazy talk, but I'm willing to entertain solutions to my issues in order to have a fresh new coat of paint, while doing my best to maintain the written content (as well as the show posts and audio links to them) as best as possible.

Thanks for reading; looking forward to your replies!

Best,
Velanche

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Pardon my ignorance, but what is MAMP?

velanche

MAMP (Macintosh, Apache, MySQL, PHP) is a widely-used personal web server that allows for development on one's computer without needing Internet access. Wordpress developers and authors use it, as a popular example. There are equivalents for Windows (WAMP) and Linux (LAMP).

Info is here: http://mamp.info/

One hope that I have is that if I can at least export the proper database in phpMyAdmin from my hosted server, then import it into the phpMyAdmin that's part of MAMP's dashboard, perhaps the links might return to those pages that I've imported into MAMP by way of Wordpress's export tool.

Hope that makes sense.
V.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
The PowerPress links (meta data) should he copied over, assuming you used the export WordPress format option and included all post's meta data. If you did the option which excludes the post meta, comments, etc then the behavior you see would be correct.

Usually I literally copy the database rather than import/export. It requires going into the options table and changing some values so the local paths and host name are used, otherwise pretty easy.

I am familiar with _AMP's just figured you meant some other application that was making the media files not the site. I miss understood that you were making a local sandbox to test your site.