Author Topic: Unusually high downloads on my site  (Read 404 times)

Passing Places

Unusually high downloads on my site
« on: October 24, 2013, 08:41:27 am »
Hi

I completely changed my website yesterday and whilst I shared this news with many podcasters some of whom no doubt checked it out I'm still a bit concerned about the dramatic spike in my downloads.  Could you verify the numbers?  I'm slightly concerned that somehow my site may be making repeated requests for the files but I've no idea if that is even possible?  My site is www.bonnietours.com

Many Thanks.

Kevin

mgdell

• Blubrry Support
  • Administrator
  • Tech Support for Blubrry and RawVoice Inc
    • Mike Dell's World
Re: Unusually high downloads on my site
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 09:22:17 am »
Kevin,

It looks like to me that you have new listeners that are downloading your back catalog of episodes.  The per-episode number doesn't look too out of line.  I wouldn't worry about it. You are getting more popular! :)

One note, It looks like you are still running an older version of powerpress.. You should really update powerpress. 

Happy Podcasting!

-Mike

Passing Places

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 09:30:38 am »
Thanks for the speedy reply and the good news.

Kevin

Passing Places

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 04:27:18 pm »
Hi again

I'm still not comfortable with the large rise in my downloads.  My analysis is confused by the fact that I have promoted the podcast on the back of a relaunch of my website and art work.  The specific part that I am worried about concerns the fact that I am using a theme with it's own built in media player.  I still worry that because I'm not using the blubrry HTML5 player that some mobile devices IOS7 (?) are pre-fetching the media files?  Could you have a look at my website and perhaps test that out from your end?  All my episodes are on that front page and if there is any pre-fetching, its going to skew the numbers really badly. www.bonnietours.com.

I need that theme player to work properly, rather than the blubbry one because it fits the whole style of the relaunch.

Thanks again.

Kevin

mgdell

• Blubrry Support
  • Administrator
  • Tech Support for Blubrry and RawVoice Inc
    • Mike Dell's World
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 07:41:32 am »
We have not heard of any mobile devices preloading podcast media.  What app are you using on IOS7 that you think is doing this? 

On the other hand, some apps do not stream content if you are subscribed to a show.  they do download the files so they can be listened to offline (this is the main way podcasting works)

If you would like us to audit your stats, use our contact form at blubrry.com and we will take a in-depth look.  I'm still convinced that you are just having a bigger audience from what I see on the surface.

-Mike

Passing Places

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 09:24:23 am »
Mike

Many thanks again.  It was the safari browser I was worried about but I'm happy to be reassured.  I use the Apple Podcasting App so I understand how podcasting works in the way you describe. :)

Thanks again for the prompt reply.

Kevin