Author Topic: Playing audio excerpts using [powerpress] shortcode  (Read 1274 times)

ajgray

Playing audio excerpts using [powerpress] shortcode
« on: October 18, 2013, 12:06:40 pm »
What specifically is the difference between "published" and "unpublished" media?  Can unpublished media be accessed via an external URL?

I'm trying to play an audio excerpt using the [powerpress url="..."] shortcode on a WordPress page (rather than a WordPress post with an associated podcast episode).  I uploaded the audio segment as a separate file to my hosting account, and it appears on the "Unpublished Media" page.  The audio player appears on the rendered page; however, clicking the play button displays "File Not Found."

The page is http://acongruentlife.net/acl-027-don-samuels-excerpts/.  The shortcode is
[powerpress url="content.blubrry.com/acongruentlife/ACL027-Don_Samuels_01.mp3"]

This yields the following href in the generated HTML: href="http://media.blubrry.com/acongruentlife/p/content.blubrry.com/acongruentlife/ACL027-Don_Samuels_01.mp3", which is analogous to the URLs that appear for my published podcast episodes.  If I try to retrieve that URL, I get a bit of XML back with an "Access Denied" error, not an HTTP 404.

Do I need to change the URL for "unpublished" media in some way, or change the state of the audio file from "unpublished" to "published?"

Thanks --

--Andy

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: Playing audio excerpts using [powerpress] shortcode
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 11:01:26 am »
Unpublished is media you've uploaded but not associated and published with a blog post. It is not public. By design, you can upload a media file today, schedule the blog post to publish 3 days from now, and until that post is published, the file is not public. Once the post does publish, your server contacts blubrry to move the file to public. This is also helpful if you filled up your monthly quota, you don't have to re-upload the file, you just wait until the space is available then you can publish at that time.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 11:02:37 am »
If you use powerpress correctly with your hosting account, you do not need to use the shortcode with the URL parameter. just use the shortcode without the URL and publish your blog post as normal and the shortcode will automatically use the URL of the episode entry box value.

ajgray

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 08:37:11 pm »
Thanks, Angelo.  However, I have a WordPress page that contains multiple audio excerpts (http://acongruentlife.net/acl-027-don-samuels-excerpts/), rather than a single post for each file - which is why I thought I needed to specify the individual URLs on the shortcode.  Is it possible to assign multiple media files to a page in this way?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 06:41:44 am »
No what you are doing is correct if you want multiple players on a page not associated to a feed.

To get URLs published that are not associated to a blog post (podcast), you need to sign into the blubrry interface to create them.

ajgray

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 07:44:53 am »
Thanks, Angelo - that was the core of my question.  Would you please point me to how to do this through the Blubrry interface?

I logged into the Blubrry interface, went to Content > Media Files (http://publish.blubrry.com/content/media_published.php), and clicked Upload New Media.  The files uploaded fine, but they appear only on the Unpublished Media page (http://publish.blubrry.com/content/media.php), and I don't see a way to move them from Unpublished to Published.  Thanks.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 09:14:50 am »
Let me look into the account, maybe something is miss-configured. You should be able to move unpublished files to published state in that page.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 11:24:03 am »
Okay figured it out, icon was not visible in the unpublished media page. Now we have both an icon and a text link labeled "Make Public".

Go to blubrry.com, sign-in, then go to manage account > content > media files. Then click the link to view "unpublished media". In the list of media files, there's an option to "Make Public", click that and you'll be good to go. When it moves the file to be accessible by the public, it will issue you the media URL.

ajgray

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 12:21:33 pm »
Excellent - that was just what I needed.  Works great - thanks, Angelo!