Author Topic: My feed is not working for some, but it's working for others  (Read 1149 times)

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
Re: My feed is not working for some, but it's working for others
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 07:15:04 am »
I know you're trying to frame this for others who have the same problem to chime in, but this the first time I've seen a podcast channel come up empty like this. I've seen this happen with the default podcast feed when WishList member plugin was enabled, but you said you disabled all plugins. Because there are no other plugins enabled and the fact that you are using a clean twentythirteen theme, the problem points to a corrupt or mis-configured WordPress installation and / or database. Again, assuming your web host is not caching the pages outside of your web server, which can be the issue. Some web hosts call these "cloud features", others call it their "CDN", and some just call it "caching". The fact that the feeds build date is back in October is what made me think this is the problem.

<lastBuildDate>Sat, 05 Oct 2013 13:00:05 +0000</lastBuildDate>

Just so we are clear, you are using the PowerPress Podcast Channels feature correct?

We do offer consulting to fix problems like these. We would work with you over gotomeeting (so we can do screen sharing and record the session for your reference). More info here: http://create.blubrry.com/support/podcast-consulting-services/

marrie

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 12:26:47 pm »
Yep yep. I'm using the custom podcast channels.  I tried to find a way to turn off or at least clear my dream host  cache. I found this
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/PHP
but I"m not sure that would help in this case.

The odd thing is this only started some time this summer with me making no changes. I started getting reports from some people sayign the feed was not even working so I have no idea when this actually started. thoughts?

Take care

marrie

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 05:21:41 pm »
Ok. I just sent dream host an email with what's going on with the relevant info. I"m hoping that someone over there will be able to help. I hope this does not mean a reinstall of wp as I hate doing it and it takes way more then 5 minutes. lol! and with the amount of stuff I have to upload it's not fun. If anyone else has any ideas I'd love to know as well.

Take care all and I await your replies.

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 08:18:06 am »
Okay, keep us posted. I am pretty confident it has something to do with the web server/service because you have it down to just WordPress and our plugin, the feed "lastBuildDate" should always be the current date/time, since WordPress builds the feed in real time.

marrie

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 10:24:08 pm »
Hello. I just heard back from the dream host team on this matter. If someone else has any ideas I'd love to hear them. Here is what they said and I hope someone else has any ideas besides reinstalling wp which I don't want to do except for a last result. I hope this is not a huge bug in power press that I found lol!

Here is their response.

I understand!  I do know that we don't do any server-side caching of your
pages, and don't install any caching plugins by default *unless* you are
using our DreamPress service, which this site is not using.

The only cache for a Wordpress site on our shared servers would be
installed if you personally installed a caching plugin, which you don't
have installed on this domain.

I hope this helps, and can help the BluBrry support team look into this
further for you.

any thoughts on what to do now?

Take care and thanks. This has me stumpped.

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 06:14:55 am »
Here are a couple options...

1. You can hire us as consultants to work ont he problem: http://create.blubrry.com/support/podcast-consulting-services/

2. You can switch from Dreamhost to some other hosting service.

I can tell you with certainty that the pubDate should be the current date/time when you refresh the feed. Something is making your web server serve a cached copy from the 5th, that's what needs to be figured out.

Did you previously use any caching plugins or plugins that rebuilt the feeds? Maybe they left lines in the .htaccess file.

marrie

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2013, 09:46:49 pm »
Ok. after 2 reinstalls of wordpress, one using the old data base and one using the new one something really is not right. I still see no media in down cast. Here is the latest entry again.

A look at the zoom h6 recorder: a podcast done by Neal Eurs, Status: Audio, In Feed, Unplayed, No media file, Published: October 5, 2013,

Then the show notes which I will not include.  I can't switch providers as I've been through about 5 of them over the post 2 years due to several wp issues and bandwidth limits and being ripped off. lol! I've done just about everything and this is still using 2013 theme default with out any changes and no caching plugins. any more ideas? I gave you the contents of my .htaccess file and I didn't see anything about any line of caching in there. Blah! Anyone else have any ideas before I take this to the wp forums where they are about as helpful as a brick?

Thanks.

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2013, 10:53:37 pm »
Maybe its the media URL. What is the media URL you are using for this episode?

marrie

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2013, 11:08:56 am »
The url is http://www.tffppodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/looking-at-the-zoom-h6-recorder-a-podcast-done-by-niel-eurs.mp3 but this is the  for most of the files. It works good and the media verifies fine in fact it verifies successfully. that's  the first thing I did. and I always make sure it does in case I made a mistake somewhere. That is, in fact, the first thing I checked. and that's the link direct from my library uploads folder as it should be.

thoughts? Oh and this is after a clean install of wp and only the power press plugin activated. and the default theme.

marrie

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2013, 02:03:23 pm »
Ok. here's the odd thing. When I go to iTunes and pull the feed down it downloads the last ep and picks up the enclosure. Down cast says no media and the other pod catchers that other people use such as catcher works. Also some android devices are not working as well when pulling down the feed, but only for this one. it works for others. I'm wondering if this is some deeper issue. Can someone test with other pod catchers and see if they can pull down the newest (only) ep there? thanks.

marrie

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 09:04:43 am »
Ok. I tried the feed
http://www.tffppodcast.com/?feed=tffp
and it worked in iTunes. I managed to dl all 10 eps there. others on my podcast twitter can see it it working as well. can others test it in all platforms, android, iOS, windows, and what ever else is out there to please make sure it works? If it does I'll update my power press dash board as soon as humanly possible. the feed is in the reply I'm posting. If this works I'm going to be excited and I'll slowly start activating plugins to have a more normal looking site. lol!
Tc all and be blessed.

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 09:53:52 am »
if the custom podcast channel solves your problem, then awesome!