Author Topic: iPad and mobile default to HTML5 player?  (Read 701 times)

ajcourtney

iPad and mobile default to HTML5 player?
« on: September 15, 2013, 10:08:49 pm »
Wondering if I messed something up, but on mobile devices, the player seems to be defaulting to the regular HTML5 audio player instead of the MediaElements player chosen in the plugin.  Desktop browsers do correctly show the mejs player along with all of my custom CSS.

This isn't a WP theme issue because the behavior is identical in the WP 2013 theme.  I've also noticed on loading the post in a desktop browser, there appears to be a similar occurrence as a FOUC as it appears the HTML5 audio player begins to load and then the browser correctly switches to the mejs player - so i wonder if something is amiss with this process for mobile devices.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:15:37 pm by ajcourtney »

ajcourtney

Re: iPad and mobile default to HTML5 player?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 09:27:25 pm »
using an idea from a thread in the bug forum, i inserted the [audio src=""] shortcode beneath a [powerpress] shortcode and you can now see the problem with mobile devices:

http://podcasts.abundantlifechurch.org/free-choice-091513/

the settings i'm passing to the mejs player are identical in both .js files.  players look identical in desktop browsers, but not mobile devices...

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: iPad and mobile default to HTML5 player?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 11:09:25 am »
This is not an issue, when we detect a mobile device, we use the default HTML5 player, not the mediaelement js player.

MEJS is a great player, but it is not 100% on mobile devices, specifically phones bloated with software. Using the native HTML5 player passes on the performance issues to the phone itself. In 1-2 years when everyone has dual/quad core processors in their phones hopefully this will not be an issue, but it is still today.