Author Topic: Switching to Blubrry questions  (Read 1853 times)

raasnio

Switching to Blubrry questions
« on: September 09, 2013, 12:47:36 pm »
I am currently using another podcast host to handle my files and delivery. Some podcast hosts make switching to them easy by taking your current feed and then building it up from there.

How easy is it to switch from some other podcasting solution to blubrry? I have 33 episodes thus far with each episode coming in at around 11MB in size. I am not using any 3rd party to proxy my feed. I am on iTunes and have a Wordpress site.

What caught my attention with Blubrry is that you'll never run out of space. I only release 2 to 3 epsiodes per month (less than 40MB).

Sorry for all of the questions, but I didn't find the Blubrry site very intuitive when searching for answers. But I'm still interested as I've heard good things about Blubrry's ability to host and deliver content.

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: Switching to Blubrry questions
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 02:22:18 pm »
If you switch to blubrry hosting, we can move up to 10gb of your back episodes for free.  If you are on one of our competitors, you can try our hosting for 30 days free.

See: http://create.blubrry.com/resources/podcast-media-hosting/ 

If you would like to do the free trial, sign up for a free account at blubrry.com and then in Manage Account >  Content and click on Free 30 day triall.

-Mike

raasnio

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 02:49:55 pm »
If you switch to blubrry hosting, we can move up to 10gb of your back episodes for free.  If you are on one of our competitors, you can try our hosting for 30 days free.

See: http://create.blubrry.com/resources/podcast-media-hosting/ 

If you would like to do the free trial, sign up for a free account at blubrry.com and then in Manage Account >  Content and click on Free 30 day triall.

-Mike

Thank you. Will give it a go. I am very interested in moving my content to here.

raasnio

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 03:57:41 pm »
Ok. That is set up. Thank you. Is there a guide to help me with PowerPress? I have an existing blog, but just made posts for each episode and added in the links to the files. How do I now use my blog to be certain that it works with Blubrry? I've never uploaded a new episode via PowerPress before.

In addition, what is the best way to update iTunes with my new feed?

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 04:01:55 pm »
There is a step by step guide to setup powerpress and a lot  more at create.blubrry.com

As for getting apple to look at your new feed, it depends on who you are moving from.  Some will redirect your feed for you and others, you will have to contact Apple to change. 

Who are you hosting with? (before the switch to blubrry hosting?) 

-MIke

raasnio

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 04:14:07 pm »
There is a step by step guide to setup powerpress and a lot  more at create.blubrry.com

As for getting apple to look at your new feed, it depends on who you are moving from.  Some will redirect your feed for you and others, you will have to contact Apple to change. 

Who are you hosting with? (before the switch to blubrry hosting?) 

-MIke

Pod0matic.

Thanks for the link. Will start reading.

raasnio

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 05:45:50 pm »
Unless I am mistaken, Podomatic will not help with this rss redirect.

After my files have migrated, I will look for my new Blubrry rss feed link and contact Apple. Hopefully they will help. If not, I will likely have to delete and reapply. :(

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 06:26:31 pm »
Use the RSS feed from your site.  Not the Blubrry.com one. It should look something like this:  http://example.com/feed/podcast/

Apple has been good about helping out lately   podcasts@apple.com

-Mike

raasnio

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 07:26:37 pm »
Ok. But Bluberry hasn't migrated the data yet and my blog site (wordpress hosted by me) still has links to podomatic.

Thanks for your assistance as I do this.

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 09:08:49 pm »
You have to request migration.  It's a manual job that takes a day or two to get going.

Leave your podomatic account going until the migration is done. 

-Mike

raasnio

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 09:17:25 pm »
Right. I did that already. :)

Even when that finishes I'll need to update my blog.

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 08:58:32 am »
Yes, you will need to update the posts with the new path to the files on blubrry hosting.   The path will be :  http://content.blubrry.com/Your_program_keyword/file_name.mp3

Of course, replace "Your_program_keyword" with your blubrry program keyword and "file_name.mp3" with the real file name.. Of course, you could use the little folder icon and just select the file on the server.  :)

There is more then one way to skin a cat, none of which the cat likes. :)

-Mike

raasnio

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 11:06:25 am »
Yes, you will need to update the posts with the new path to the files on blubrry hosting.   The path will be :  http://content.blubrry.com/Your_program_keyword/file_name.mp3

Of course, replace "Your_program_keyword" with your blubrry program keyword and "file_name.mp3" with the real file name.. Of course, you could use the little folder icon and just select the file on the server.  :)

There is more then one way to skin a cat, none of which the cat likes. :)

-Mike

Thank you, sir. Much appreciated.   8)

raasnio

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 09:34:10 pm »
What is the method for posting episodes to Facebook? On my old host I just shared the link and it left a player. How does it work with my blog? Where do I find the right link?

Thanks.

mgdell

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 08:52:10 am »
Use the same media URL you use in powerpress.  Not sure about a player on Facebook.

OR enable the embed code from your blog and use that on FB.  (Does not work)

-Mike
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 08:53:48 am by mgdell »