Author Topic: Will switching podcast plugins affect publish date on old episodes?  (Read 1063 times)

clairechapman

I am currently using another podcasting plugin on my Wordpress site to send podcasts to iTunes, but I didn't really do my research before picking it and now I would like to upgrade to Blubrry. However, I am worried about having our first 6 episodes all showing the same release date in iTunes if I have to re-upload them. If I switch to using Blubrry, will I have to re-upload my existing episodes completely or is there a way to migrate the content? I'm not worried about analytics or anything, just the release date that shows.

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: Will switching podcast plugins affect publish date on old episodes?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 12:31:49 pm »
In powerpress, there is a tools menu (under powerpress on the sidebar after you install it in wordpress).  In there is the migration tool you will need.

If it happens to be PodPress that you are coming from, this will help you: http://create.blubrry.com/resources/powerpress/advanced-tools-and-options/migrating-from-podpress-to-powerpress/

-Mike

clairechapman

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 12:44:30 pm »
Awesome, thanks so much for your quick reply! We are coming from the "Seriously Simply Podcasting" plugin, so I will check out the migration tool and let you know how it goes. Thanks!

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 12:31:32 pm »
I'm not sure how the Really Simple Podcasting plugin manages episodes, that plugin never got that many downloads so we never bothered to handle importing for it. If they store episodes the way WordPress wants (as a custom field "enclosure", then PowerPress will pick it up without problems. Otherwise, I would enable both PowerPress and really simple podcasting, edit the 6 blog posts in question, and copy/paste the media URL from the really simple podcasting plugin to the PowerPress media URL field. You should not have to reupload any media, as long as the URLs are copied over you're golden.

As far as your podcast feed is concerned, what is the current address of your podcast feed? I'm not familiar with that plugin, so if they used an abstract URL for the feed, that will be a new challenge.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 12:32:01 pm »
And the post date doesn't change no matter what, by the way.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 12:47:40 pm »
I took a look at the plugin, it puts all the podcast episodes into a post type "podcast". The post type will disappear if you disable that plugin. There are tools to change posts "post type".

Will have more when I get more time to study the plugin.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 01:24:38 pm »
I did not see how episode information is stored in the database yet, but the easiest way to migrate away is to do the following:

1. Change the post types for the given posts to type "post".
2. Create a rewrite rule in your .htaccess file to use the blubrry podcast only feed.
3. Copy the media URLs to the "Episode entry box" > "Media URL" field (field in edit post page when you edit the post).

unfortunately there are not enough users of this plugin to justify coding a migration tool at this time. I have added it to the feature TODO list though.