Author Topic: How to Share the Embed Code for my Blubrry Player on my Website  (Read 5138 times)

RWPeck

I am attempting to share the embed code for a Blubrry player on a WordPress website that I admin for a friend. I have gone to my Blubrry.com account dashboard and clicked on "Connect / Blubrry Player." I have copied the embed code for one of the players and am now trying to display that code on my website for others to be able to copy and embed the code on their site. I am aware that I need to use some sort of plain text display box to put the embed code in. I have attempted the following three methods.

1. I saved the Blubrry.com page that displays my player embed code as an html doc, then opened it in an html editor, located the section displaying the embed code and the code immediately before and after (the part that creates the display box) and copied that into a page on my website. (can be viewed as the first of two embed codes on this page http://www.castlereport.us/castle-report-player/)

2. I followed the instructions found here - http://forum.ucoz.com/forum/26-5966-1  It produced a text box, but in one place in the code it changes a quote mark to an apostrophe and adds a space after it. (can be viewed as the second of two embed codes on this page http://www.castlereport.us/castle-report-player/)

3. I used this WordPress plugin - http://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-select-all-text-box/  (can be viewed on this page http://www.castlereport.us/test-page/)

Each of these methods produces a display box with the embed code inside it, but when I copy the code and paste it into another website, it fails. In some cases it produces an image that just doesn't do anything when you click on it and in other cases it shows the word "blubrry" as a text link that directs you to the same URL as the page it is displayed on plus "#" at the end of the address resulting in a 404 error message.

The only thing I have changed is that I have removed the Blubrry player graphic and substituted the URL to my own player image, but the resultant code does work. I have saved that code in an OpenOffice document and can copy and paste it into a web page and it produces a working player, but when I have placed the same code into the three examples given above, then copied that code from those pages and embed into another site, it fails. It's the same code, but it doesn't work.

Been wrangling with this for over a dozen hours now and still no joy.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: How to Share the Embed Code for my Blubrry Player on my Website
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 01:56:36 pm »
The embed is for you to embed, not for you to give to others to embed. Once you have that knowledge...
Copy and paste the embed from Blubrry.com, paste it into the text area in what ever you're trying to add it to, then click save. DO NOT MODIFY THE embed provided to you. DO NOT provide a field so folks can then re-copy the embed. This embed you are using is not meant for this purpose.

If the copy/paste version does not work, please copy/paste it into this forum so we can see what happened between what we provide you on our web site and what you actually have.

If you want other to take an embed from your web site, use our PowerPress plugin, go to Appearance tab and enable the embed option. Also select the FlowPlayer Classic player (for audio) and the HTML5 player (for video), adn you'll be all set.

RWPeck

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 05:19:36 pm »
Thank you for the correction. Admittedly, I know very little about the whole idea of embed codes to begin with and failed to realize the player was meant only for my own site. I just had an idea and was trying to run with it.

The podcast I am working with does a political news and commentary report three times per week and we have some affiliated/associated political entities that could benefit from having a player like this embedded on their site that would automatically play the most recent episode. I haven't found a way to make that happen yet, but haven't given up either.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 05:21:46 pm »
If your running wordpress, then its in the PowerPress plugin already.

RWPeck

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 07:50:48 pm »
The only embed code that I'm aware of in PowerPress is the one under "PowerPress / Media Appearance / Media links" where there is a check box for "Display player embed link" and another below it for "Include embed in feeds" (which I don't actually understand, but have checked anyway). This generates an embed code that appears in each podcast post, but the code is for that specific episode and no others. While that has its usefulness and is appreciated, what I want is a code that we could provide to our associates to embed in their site that would automatically update to play the new episode without the need to embed a new code for the new episode. In other words, I'm looking for an embedded player that is connected to our RSS feed and updates every time a new episode is published.

Please correct me if there is a feature or setting that I'm missing.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 08:19:03 pm »
Oh I see, nothing like that is built into PowerPress.

RWPeck

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 04:27:36 am »
FYI - A few months later now, but just last night I finally ran across a player that appears to meet all my needs. If anyone else is trying to do what I was discussing in this topic, check out [competitor link removed]. Set up a free account, submit your RSS feed, get an embed code, place it on your site and it produces a player that includes a link for others to get the embed code so they can place your podcast player on their site. It also allows them to customize the player size and color to fit their website theme. Your website and RSS feed + Blubrry for media hosting + [competitor link removed] for a sharable embeddable player gets the job done.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:41:22 am by angelo »

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 09:41:01 am »
Please do not advertise competitors on our forums.

That player you recommended is flash based, we do not recommend using flash based players, they do not work on mobile and it is randomly unstable on desktop browsers.

Blubrry has a player that lists all your episodes, but again,this is no longer the way to go since we now see more traffic from mobile thank from desktop devices. On top of that, 75%+ of your traffic is from subscriptions, they will never interact with a web player of any sort.

RWPeck

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 11:53:12 am »
Sorry, I wasn't thinking of you as competition, but rather as two complementary services - one providing the hosting and the other providing a player that could be shared and embedded.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 12:39:58 pm »
We both provide statistics and advertising opportunities. Their player hasn't updated in 5 years, it's a bit dated.