Author Topic: Best way to publish (get URLS for) non-episode media file?  (Read 1772 times)

jmw

Best way to publish (get URLS for) non-episode media file?
« on: July 22, 2013, 12:00:45 pm »
I'm working on a podcast program.  Each full episode is associated with a WP post.  When users scroll down in the post, they will see program notes and brief audio clips of the episode.  The full episode and the clips are all hosted on blubrry.

I understand that a media file hosted on blubrry must be associated with a WP post to be "published" and accessible via a URL.  I've tested associating audio clips with a post temporarily and indeed it worked.

My concern is that for that duration, albeit brief, the rss feed will feature an audio clip as a full podcast episode and it may get downloaded as such.  I have not been working with podcasts long, so I'm not sure if this is a real concern or not.

Can someone more experienced help me out and let me know if the above way is fine or if there is a better way to publish non-episode files?  Should I create some sort of dummy feed?

Thanks in advance!

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: Best way to publish (get URLS for) non-episode media file?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 03:04:32 pm »
It is not a concern, when you click "Publish" in your blog, that is when your blog contacts blubrry.com and tells blubrry to publish the file. Blubrry immediately returns to your blog with the information "Here's the URL", then your blog continues to save the blog post to the database with the URL. This all happens instantly, there's nothing saved in between these actions.

The URL to the preview is only there for you, because you are viewing the post in preview mode. Try sending that link to someone who is not signed into your blog and the preview is not there. It is just there to cut down on the support tickets we got in the past "how come I can't listen to my podcast when I preview it". And the reason is, until you "publish", we don't make the file public. This is so you can crank out a few episodes at a time and schedule them into the future.

jmw

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 02:02:23 pm »
Thank you for the reply, but I'm not sure that I quite understand. I made the assumption that to "associate" a blubrry hosted media file with a post, it had to be selected in the PowerPress episode box and then published. Are you saying that media files referenced in a post will become published when I publish the post, regardless of whether or not I put them in the powerpress episode field? 

Really, All I need are url links for non-episode media files hosted on blubrry and I can't seem to find a simple way to do this. I am probably making it too difficult.  I want to avoid publishing the post early with the wrong episode file, which is what I ended up doing ...

What I need is a post that looks like this:
EPISODE 1 TITLE
LISTEN TO PODCAST: [powerpress]  (this links to http://content.blubrry.com/mykey/whole-episode.mp3)
LISTEN TO EXCERPT1: display link to http://content.blubrry.com/mykey/first5minutes.mp3
LISTEN TO EXCERPT2: display link to http://content.blubrry.com/mykey/next5minutes.mp3

What I did:
1. I created a post.
2. I go to the Powerpress box under the post and select first5minutes.mp3 as my podcast episode to associate with the post.
3. I click on Publish button so that the media file is now published and accessible at http://content.blubrry.com/mykey/first5minutes.mp3.
4. I repeat step 2 and select next5minutes.mp3 in my Powerpress box episode field and click on Update - this makes my media file accessible at http://content.blubrry.com/mykey/next5minutes.mp3.
5. I go to Powerpress box under the post and select whole-episode.mp3 and click on Update.  Now the correct episode is finally in the rss feed.
6. I modify the body of my post to add the links to http://content.blubrry.com/mykey/first5minutes.mp3 and http://content.blubrry.com/mykey/next5minutes.mp3. Now, I click update.  My post is now complete.

My concern is that I'm publishing the post before it's ready just to get the media files available at the URLs.  I'm afraid someone may see the rss feed after step 3 and only download the first5minutes.mp3.

Are you saying that I can skip steps 2-4? If so, that would be great!! 

Thanks for your patience!!

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 06:10:39 pm »
So you want 2 or more media files in one blog post?

So you are aware, only one media file can go into a blog post when it is in the RSS feed. Limitation of pod catchers like iTunes.

If the other 2 files are just for your web site, then there is no need to host them with Blubrry. You can upload those to your website, they will never see significant traffic like the episode will.

jmw

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 03:27:12 am »
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I was aware that there is only one media file in the RSS feed, and it is true that we don't want the excerpt media files to be in the RSS feed anyway, just on the website.

However, my client does want to keep all the media files together on blubrry.  Basically, they were hoping for a single solution for all of their media hosting.  Is blubrry only meant to publish podcast episodes?  If so, then I will talk to my clients and explain the issue.

Just to clarify, the only way to get media files hosted and published on blubrry with a live URL is to put that file in the PowerPress Episode box and publish the post, correct?

Then, one final question for you.  Could I maybe have some sort of separate secret feed with one post that I modify over and over again just to associate different media files and get them published with a URL on blubrry?

Thanks for all your help!

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 07:08:35 am »
From WordPress, the uploading is tied to your blog posts. We can set you up ftp access, that would let you upload files to your account without making a blog post. Use the blubrry contact form to request ftp access.

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 01:12:46 pm »
If you don't mind doing the post and then delete the post, that will work.  The time between the time you hit publish and then delete the post is short enough. The chances that anyone or any service is hitting your RSS feed for those few seconds is very small. 

-Mike

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 01:14:22 pm »
But if you're familiar with FTP, that way is way easier.

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 01:18:48 pm »
But if you're familiar with FTP, that way is way easier.
Very true! :)