Author Topic: How to embed a player or play list of my podcast on another site  (Read 8709 times)

RWPeck

I recently built a website for a friend's podcast (http://www.castlereport.us/). It is a news, politics and commentary podcast with three episodes per week. I am using Blubrry media hosting and have built a WordPress site at HostGator hosting. I would like to offer others an embed code that would embed a player and/or play list of the most recent episodes on their website. My friend is associated with a political party and other organizations that favor his message and may like to have his podcast featured as an embeded item on their site. Even a simple listing of recent episodes with the episode titles linked to the media files would do. I realize this would have to be part RSS feed and part player and I don't know if such a creature exists. Vimeo allows me to generate an embed code for my video channel, so I guess I'm looking for the podcast equivalent to that.

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: How to embed a player or play list of my podcast on another site
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 07:44:29 am »
If you are using the powerpress plugin, there is an embed option in the Media Appearance tab.  Check that and save settings.. .Then each podcast post will have an embed code you can cut and paste onto another site.

-Mike

RWPeck

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 05:51:13 am »
Thanks Mike, but rather than providing separate embed codes for each podcast episode, I'd like to provide one embed code that would embed a player that automatically updates each time a new podcast episode is published. That way a site could have an embedded player that is always showing our podcast's most recent episode. I expect this would require some sort of combining of an embed code together with the technology of an RSS feed. As I pointed out, Vimeo has such a feature for video channels so we know the technology exists. I thought it might be possible that someone had developed a WordPress plugin or....?

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 12:03:44 pm »
There might be a player / plugin at wordpress that will take the files from the RSS feed.  I haven't researched that as I've not had the need or heard of anyone with the need.  If you do find one, let us know here.

Also, it might be something we could look into for a future feature in Powerpress.

-Mike

RWPeck

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 03:50:05 am »
I definitely would like to recommend this feature for a future release of PowerPress (perhaps I should go post this under that section of the forum). I may be the only one who has asked about it, but I expect there are others who could make use of it.

For instance, if a person has a business that has its own website, but they have now started a podcast that provides information or "how to" episodes that are related to the nature of their business. They would not want to turn their business site into a podcast site, but they might want to tell their customers about their podcast and provide an embedded player on their business site that shows a listing of their most recent episodes. In my case, the friend that I have built a podcast website for is the past vice chairman and Vice Presidential candidate of the Constitution Party. Our national party and some of the state affiliates would like to be able to embed a player on their websites that would play his most recent news and political commentary podcast episodes. I expect similar situations exist among clubs, organizations or churches where the local affiliate would like to embed a player on their site showing a podcast produced by their church headquarters or club president.

SoundCloud is providing an embedable player that might serve as a good prototype to emulate. You can learn about it on their podcasting page here - http://soundcloud.com/101/podcasts - or see it in action on this site - http://playbackmedia.co.uk/heart-and-hand-the-rangers-podcast/

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 02:55:04 pm »
We have a pop-up player that features the latest episode on the top with a playlist navigation for past episodes, go into your blubrry account and check out the blubrry player. It pops up into a new window so the user can listen in the background while surfing the web.

There are some add-on plugins for WordPress that add functionality, not sure if they do what you want but they are listed on the FAQ tab on the PowerPress page on WordPress.org.

I'll add this feature to the feature TODO list, it would be a cool feature packaged in PowerPress.

RWPeck

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 04:16:42 am »
Oh my... Thank You, Thank You Blubrry! Checked out the player and it's gong to meet my need. I hadn't registered to be featured in Blubrry's podcast directory yet and didn't realize the player was there. I'm registered now and will start telling others in my circle how to embed The Castle Report podcast on their site using the Blubrry player embed code.

RWPeck

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 03:18:07 am »
FYI - A few months later now, but just last night I finally ran across a player that appears to meet all my needs. If anyone else is trying to do what I was discussing in this topic, check out [competitor link removed]. Set up a free account, submit your RSS feed, get an embed code, place it on your site and it produces a player that includes a link for others to get the embed code so they can place your podcast player on their site. It also allows them to customize the player size and color to fit their website theme. Your website and RSS feed + Blubrry for media hosting + [competitor] for a sharable embeddable player gets the job done.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:31:12 am by angelo »