Author Topic: How Many Episodes To Show?  (Read 1532 times)

hugequickly

How Many Episodes To Show?
« on: May 14, 2013, 12:36:14 pm »
I have a question about the setting in Powerpress which affects how many episodes show up in your podcast feed. I want my feed to show as many episodes as possible without slowing anything down or affecting the audience's experience with how much they have to download? Obviously I also don't want to have any issues with iTunes. My episodes are around 25 mb each. Do you have any tips on how many I should choose? I've heard everything from "nothing over 100" to as low as "don't go over 20". Thanks.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: How Many Episodes To Show?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 02:36:25 pm »
The "number of items per feed" setting and the feed's size is not effected by the size of the media files. The amount of show notes you put into each episode blog post is what effects this. If you write a lot of show notes, I recommend 20 items per feed. If you keep your show notes to a small paragraph, you can pus this to 100 easily.

What you should do is load the feed in a web browser, then do file > save-as and save the file locally. Then view the file in your PC's file browser to see how large it is. If it exceeds 400K, your pushing the limits. Anything over 512K (1/2MB) then you will have delays for how long it takes for your listing to update on services such as iTunes.

hugequickly

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 12:05:21 pm »
Got it. Thanks Angelo.

DanielJLewis

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 02:56:36 pm »
You can also enter your feed URL into http://web-sniffer.net and it will tell you the file size.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 03:09:16 pm »
Good idea. You want the file size uncompressed, web servers will compress it using deflate or gzip, so be careful your looking at the actual size.

rburns

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 08:35:05 am »
As a general idea, I have 25 feeds with 21:36 mp3 files at ~50mb per file. The total uncompressed file size of the xml is 46.6kb
I am assuming I could go with 150 or more in my feed then.

http://mtrosemedia.tk/feed/podcast

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 10:18:42 am »
Just remember the feed size is not impacted by the size of your media.

Also, do not make the mistake of looking at the file size from your web browser. Web browsers and sites compress the feed using logic, so the size you see if you view it in Firefox will be 10x smaller in most cases. You have to save it locally then view the size. The larger the data set is in your feed takes more time to process, and is why larger feeds are slower to update most podcast directories.

rburns

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 02:19:58 pm »
So it's possible I could set the number of feeds I have, to 100, and not have any real issues. I understand that the file size is different. But something like Amazon S3 and CDN could remove that issue as well.
I have w3tc, with Amazon S3 and CDN support. Would that also affect the files used by Powerpress? I've uploaded all my files via the normal media library manager.
I will post this question on W3TC as well. If they respond first, I will post back

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 02:25:19 pm »
I'm. It sure how to explain better. Met me try again.

Your RSS feed, like a HTML web page, has markup in it. When that markup gets extensive for a web browser, the web browser takes longer to parse and process all thehtml tags. Same happens for XML feeds. It does not matter how many media files or images are referenced in the HTML/XML, what matters is how much textual content is in the HTML / XML. View the source of your feed to see that the markup is similar to web page markup. Then rationalize what it must be like for a script to have to logically parse that data.

So media files have nothing to do with this issue, nor does where the media files are hosted.

rburns

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 02:30:07 pm »
Right.
So what I'm saying, since it appears that my RSS Feeds are not long, and 25 feeds only use 46kb. I could, essentially, bump that to 100 feeds, and should see an estimated 4*46kb (170kb). What is the general rule of thumb for max parse time on feed pages? Not so much concrete, but a safe general idea. I'm looking around the web for large textual podcast, but I'm not seeing any at the moment.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 02:34:06 pm »
I would not let it get over 400k. So 100 should be fine. In "podcast channels" feature, you can enable our "feed maximizer" option which slims down the feed even more, but even then the highest we tested was 150 episodes, we found iTunes web page loads slow then. I think 100 is a good maximum if you're targeting  iTunes.

rburns

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 02:35:44 pm »
The maximizer is still experimental. Is that the case still? Which part of the maximizer is faulty (buggy)?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 02:50:43 pm »
We haven't had issues, no one else has reported issues with it either, so next major release of powerpress it will no longer be labeled as experimental.

rburns

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 02:53:47 pm »
Didn't know we should be testing it. I will enable it and try to break it. What exactly does it do?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 10:03:24 am »
From the wordpress.org page:
A Feed Episode Maximizer “option” for shows with episodes in excess of what can currently be included in a feed. This feature allows the podcaster to maintain the latest 10 episodes in iTunes with all of the extensive episode data. The rest of the episodes are listed in a way that maximizes the number of episodes that can be listed on iTunes / Zune etc. Perfect for the serial podcaster with an extensive episode library.

Basically, we remove XML tags in the feed that are not necessary for the 11+ oldest posts in the feed, for example <content:encoded> is removed, which shrinks the rss file significantly. We remove a few other rss tags as well.