Author Topic: Powerpress Operation Timed Out  (Read 3878 times)

Charly Petrone

Powerpress Operation Timed Out
« on: April 29, 2013, 12:02:00 pm »
Hi, I use the plugin for more than a year, and now I have problems to upload new podcasts (mp3), and receive this error message: Operation timed out; please, help me to fix the problem

thnks a lot

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: Powerpress Operation Timed Out
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 04:35:28 pm »
We need the URL to the media file in question to help you.  Please respect the note above the forum editor...

When asking for help, please include the following:

URL to your podcast feed (e.g. http://example.com/feed/podcast/)
    URL to web site or specific page (e.g. http://example.com/)
    URL to media file if applicable (e.g. http://example.com/path/to/media.mp3)
    Provide specific details and URLs (Do not provide pseudo or fake information)
    As much detail as possible to best explain your needs.

These details make all the difference when trying to investigate your question or problem.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 09:00:52 am »
I am not seeing the time out issue with the media URLs on our test site.

Is the "operation timed out" happening when you are publishing? Aka when you click 'Verify' do you get a timeout error? Or is it once you publish then try to play on your site? Answer to this question will lead to the answer I give.

Charly Petrone

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 11:11:46 am »
Hi Angelo

is when I click "Verify" the file, not when I try to play in the web...

many thanks

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 11:20:30 am »
Okay, contact your web hosting provider or server administrator, let them know your web server is unable to resolve or connect to itself locally. You should be able to give them 1 of the 4 media URLs in the sample above, they will use shell prompt on your server with a command like wget or curl to see why your local server is not allowing requests to itself locally. More than likely a wrongly configured firewall or a improperly configured caching application is causing the problem. Could even be a DNS issue. They will be able to figure it out.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 11:21:01 am »
They will need to test both GET and HEAD requests when they use wget/curl from the shell to test.

Charly Petrone

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 11:25:14 am »
Thanks a lot Angelo, now I'm contact the hosting technical support, when I have the solution I tell you what is the problem

Charly Petrone

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 07:02:38 am »
Hi Angelo!

ok, finally the problem are in the server, after 4 days and 18 messages the hosting's technical support solve the matter

look the reply, a few days ago:

...Our administrators are still in the process of finding a solution on the matter. The fact, that they have not yet replied, means that the issue is more serious, than originally thought.

don't say nothing about the specific problem

thank yery very much Angelo
best regards

barryj

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 03:53:14 pm »
I've been having the same problem that started just this week on all my sites. I've included the email I sent to my web host provider today and their response. Any ideas? This is really starting to affect my schedule. Thanks!

----

Thank you for contacting us.

Upon checking, it seems that you have reach your php memory limit that causes the timed out issue.
We strongly suggest you to delete unwanted plugins and php files that are not needed on your site
to have enough memory for the plugin to run properly. However, we are also still investigating further
on this to find a work around and will give it to you once we find one.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

--

Technical Support
1&1 Internet

Hi,

I called last night because I have been having a problem updating my RSS feed on my Wordpress based sites. I use a Wordpress plugin called Powerpress made by Blubrry. These sites host podcast RSS feeds. The podcast audio files are located on the site server. Here is a valid full URL to one of them:

http://politicalqrm.com/podcasts/P-QRM42.mp3

When I try to use the Powerpress plugin to update my RSS feed, it times out while I am trying to verify the above audio file URL. The URL can be accessed from any computer but the local server where it resides. The "verify" check in Powerpress times out when trying to access this URL from the local server.

Here is what the Blubrry guys said about this case:

Okay, contact your web hosting provider or server administrator, let them know your web server is unable to resolve or connect to itself locally. You should be able to give them 1 of the 4 media URLs in the sample above, they will use shell prompt on your server with a command like wget or curl to see why your local server is not allowing requests to itself locally. More than likely a wrongly configured firewall or a improperly configured caching application is causing the problem. Could even be a DNS issue. They will be able to figure it out.

This problem began this week. It worked flawlessly last week and earlier. To my knowledge, nothing has changed on my sites since the last time I successfully used this plugin.

Thanks,

----
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 03:55:17 pm by barryj »

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 03:59:37 pm »
barryj, just to make sure, your having the same problem when you click 'verify', after so many seconds the script returns 'operation timed out' correct?

A "request time out" is not the result of a php memory exhausted error. When php runs out of memory, either the script fails to a blank screen or you actually get an "out of memory" error.

Knowing 1&1, my money is on the local DNS service on that server not resolving correctly (not resolving to 127.0.0.1), but that's just my guess.

barryj

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 04:06:58 pm »
barryj, just to make sure, your having the same problem when you click 'verify', after so many seconds the script returns 'operation timed out' correct?

Yes, this is what happens exactly. I also ssh'd into the server and watched the memory usage during the verify process and did not see it go over my allocation. I'll pass on your very kind remarks to them to try and move them in the right direction.  ;)

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 03:47:31 am »
If you can Ssh into the server, try using wget/curl from the command line to download the media URL. If that does not work then its definitely an issue with the server. If that works, then try the option to get headers only for the URL. If that doesn't work, then its an http/1.1 related issue. If it does work, then it is a web server/pup issue of some kind.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 03:52:26 am »
Curl head request looks something like...

curl -i -X HEAD http://example.com/path/on/server

barryj

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 11:46:49 pm »
Hi Angelo,

Just a quick update. I'm still working with the provider. They don't seem to like trying things that I suggest even though I'm a software engineer with over 30 years experience with unix and linux.  :o The last email I received from them contained a link to a three year old Wordpress forum topic about Powerpress and told me that it was a known issue with Powerpress. I told them to PLEASE try the cURL command on the server. I tried it in verbose mode and it sticks on connectection to port 80. I told them that the command works fine from my laptop, just not from their server. They asked me for the cURL command I used. I gave it to them... We'll see what happens.

Barry