Author Topic: Day in Tech History Stats drop from media move  (Read 603 times)

geekazine

Day in Tech History Stats drop from media move
« on: April 22, 2013, 09:57:08 am »
Angelo:

I moved Day in Tech History to Libsyn hosting. I had Rob put in my tracking code so it would resolve correctly (especially on the apps). Yet since the switch my stats have dropped to half of what they were. They should have stayed level or grown but not dropped.

Is there anything wrong with the stats I am sending? Do I need to do anything?

Thanks in advance.

-J

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
Re: Day in Tech History Stats drop from media move
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 11:21:35 am »
So many factors can change this, Did your iTunes numbers drop? If so, that may indicate that your feed is not updated on iTunes.

geekazine

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 12:05:42 pm »
iTunes has been loading fine - been checking every day. I also looked at all the podcatchers I know of and they are loading just fine.

I only changed the location of the media files - I still control the primary RSS feed.

Libsyn stats say that I am getting half of my current numbers from there. That means 2/3rds of my traffic dropped off mysteriously.

Verified with Libsyn, this is the link its pushing:

http://media.techpodcasts.com/dayintechhistory/p/media.techpodcasts.com/geekazine/p/traffic.libsyn.com/geekazine/dith130422.mp3

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 12:09:40 pm »
You have two redirects in the URL, remove one of them. They cannot be combined effectively.

Who were you hosting with previously?

geekazine

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 12:17:33 pm »
I've had 2 redirects in the url for almost a year now. Todd has told me this is fine to do. I'll take one out though - for testing.

I was hosting from a friends' server and all media went through http://media.jmpenterprise.com - Geek Smack! still hosts from here.

-J

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 12:22:23 pm »
Are Geek Smack stats stable though?

My only thinking is your stats could be inflated if your media host was not supporting the byte range requests correctly, it would cause downloads that need to resume to start from the beginning. I'm pretty sure though if that was the case iTunes would have contacted you, as it's required now for iTunes.

Libsyn stats should be similar, though slightly higher, Their statistics algorithm is different than ours.

geekazine

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 01:02:00 pm »
The hosting site is not accustomed to audio files, but my friend is usually on top of those things. I am willing to watch the numbers for a couple weeks to verify.

Still my stats always had total and unique numbers that looked on target. I'll check CPanel on that end to see what the numbers were.

The biggest question I had was if Libsyn was seeing the podcasts correctly.

Thanks.

-J