Author Topic: RSS feed vs .mp3 on partner sites  (Read 3329 times)

Cat Williams

RSS feed vs .mp3 on partner sites
« on: April 16, 2013, 02:52:53 am »
I just started a new podcast hosting account with Blubrry (it's my 2nd account.) The good news is a big website is going to promote the podcast. The bad news is they decided NOT to pull the Blubrry feed on their site but instead (without asking me) downloaded the .mp3 off the Blubrry Powerpress plugin (I've never heard the pros or cons about having that on or off) and are just putting the .mp3 on their site, even though I tried to explain in an email that the RSS feed is what makes it a "podcast".

My client wants the file on the big website no matter what, so I basically have no leeway here. They will be including a link to our website on their own and in targeted mailings, which will ultimately get us some traffic on Blubrry stats but it's not the same...

Anyone have advice on this situation? I always imbed ID3 tags before I upload to Blubrry so no worries there.

Thanks for any advice!

Podcast #1 is: http://realfoodrealfarms.com/realfoodrealfarms-1-prepping-for-slovenia/

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: RSS feed vs .mp3 on partner sites
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 09:58:11 am »
Sounds like you're working with a large company that doesn't understand the new media space.

If they are hosting the media, then your out of luck unless they implement the blubrry statistics redirect with their URLs.

Can you share who the company is?

Cat Williams

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 03:41:47 pm »
It's foodarts. How would I tell them to "implement the blubrry statistics redirect with their URLs"?  I found this link on that topic: http://create.blubrry.com/resources/podcast-media-download-statistics/blubrry-statistics-compared-to-other-statistics/

"First is how you have the redirect URL implemented on your site and podcast feed. The redirect URL, which you get in your blubrry.com account under ‘Measure,’ must be in front of all media URL anywhere it is available. For instance. if you have it in your feed but also have a download link on your site but don’t have the redirect in front of the link address, you will only be measuring downloads from the feed. If you have it on the link but not in your feed, you will only be measuring downloads from the site, but not from the feed."

So that sounds like I might be able to put that in front on the download link in my own website through the Powerpress plug in? Am I guessing that correctly?

Thanks, still learning this side of things!

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 06:16:29 pm »
Sorry for the delay, I had this open on my computer at home and thought I posted a reply, so sorry.

The Blubrry Statistics measures every download when the media url for each episode is in the PowerPrses Episode box as "Media URL". If you just paste a media url into a blog post randomly, then the Media Redirect will not be implemented. When you do this we assume you are linking to other media that is not yours.

So essentially, if you podcast it, we count it (web or feed). If you just link to media in your blog post, we don't count it unless you manually add the stats redirect to that media URL.

Cat Williams

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 07:37:33 pm »
Thanks, Angelo. I do use the plugin box, as specified. My question was specifically if the other company wanted to just upload .mp3's to their site without using my blubrry (paid hosting) podcast url feed, how I would do the statistics redirect with their URL's. It's not an urgent question now. That website decided to just point an article & newsletter at our site instead. I think they outsource their website and probably didn't know how to add something new (or didn't want to pay for it). Or just didn't want to change the aesthetic they were going with. Regardless, it would be good to know the next time that question comes up. Thanks!

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 07:49:05 pm »
Oh I gotcha.

You can put any media URL into the "Media URL" field in PowerPress. PowerPress will assume you want to measure it. Doing so will make an episode in your blog , which will then syndicate that to iTunes and other podcast clients, so it only seems natural to measure those URLs as well.