Author Topic: Blubrry PLug In; I can't get started  (Read 542 times)

Karl Trautman

Blubrry PLug In; I can't get started
« on: March 11, 2013, 11:03:06 pm »
Hello:

I am having some difficulties with connecting to  Blubrry.

First of all, let me say the company sounds very good and potentially useful to me.

Here is my situation;

I have been podcasting for almost two years now. I was using QuickBlogcast from Go Daddy, but recently decided to have a new webpage created for me in WordPress, in which I would use to place my podcasts in. So, the new website has been created. I transferred over my url. I kept GoDaddy as my host. I then manually transferred all of my previous podcasts over to the my new WordPress site. So Far, so good. They came through great and I was able to post a new one tonight.

However I now realize that my podcasts (I believe) cannot be picked up by ITUNES and Stitcher, which they had been previously.  :(

So I went into my WordPress account and found out that Blubrry Plug In was activated. Or, if it wasn't, I just activated it. So, I assume an RSS feed was created, perhaps that is incorrect? And here is the BIG question: If an RSS feed was created, how would I know? It does not appear on my page.

So my first question is a) how to get a rss feed? b) how will I know when I have one and where to look for it once it has been created? Once it has been created, I think I can figure out how to get it to both ITUNES and Stitcher.

I have other questions about statistics, but that can come later.

Any help is appreciated.

My website is www.karltrautman.com

Thanks

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
Re: Blubrry PLug In; I can't get started
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 08:44:50 am »
Try to explain this as simple as possible.

WordPress provides your feeds, every blog post becomes an item in your rss feed.

PowerPress adds podcasting support to the feeds in WordPress, and adds a special podcast only feed for itunes, stitcher, etc..

So if your looking for your podcast feed, go to PowerPress Settings > Feed settings tab, read what is told to you on the page. You will be told what your podcast feed is near the top. If you go to the iTune stab, you will be told at the top what feed (your podcast feed) to submit to iTunes.

First glance at your site, your podcast feed (http://karltrautman.com/feed/podcast/) is refreshing to your regular feed, and your regular feed has no episodes in it.

Start siabling plugins one by one until you get your episodes back. You can view the feed in Firefox, when you see media links then you know you fixed the problem.

My guess is you have some sort of membership plugin enabled, which commonly makes all the podcast media disappear.

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 08:45:55 am »
Actually, if you have not created any episodes yet, everything may be just fine., You need to create 1 episode before the podcast feed will work.

Karl Trautman

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 03:00:52 pm »
Angelo:

Thanks for your advice.

On your first reply, I went into" PowerPress", this automatically takes me to "Blubrry PowerPress Settings", I the go to "Feeds" "Enhance All Feeds" is checked. I cannot uncheck it. Nothing else is checked.  I do see the warning; "You must create at least one podcast episode for your podcast feed to be valid." and the podcast feed you refer to in your post.

So, it could be I need to create one podcast first before everything works. But here I seem to be hung on the language. I have never created a podcast in WordPress. I create them on my laptop, save them as a mp3 file and upload them to WordPress. Moreover, I done this over 200 times, and they are both in my Podcast library and on my welcome page. So have I not created one before? To experiment, on the "Dashboard Welcome to WordPress" Page, I decided to  add a podcast via the "add media" function on that page....I don't know if that avenue worked...

FYI: In my procedure of adding over 200 Podcasts, I noticed at the bottom of the page a place for a "Podcast Episode" and a space for a Media URL . I have never done anything with that...should I have?

I appreciate your help.

Karl

Karl Trautman

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 04:26:47 pm »
Here's more information, if it helps.

My webpage RSS feed works fine www.karltrautman.com/feed

But, in communicating with Stitcher, they said: "You have to click through 3 times to get to this file. An audio RSS
allows you to use a media enclosure to attach the mp3 file.
This gives Stitcher access and allows us to update."

That makes sense to me...so I am wondering where to find the (general) audioRSS feed...

Here is an example of a specific  (file?) contained as part of the general RSS feed link...http://karltrautman.com/3512-lancaster-california-and-solar-energy-and-maine-and-tidal-power/

Thanks.

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 04:35:22 pm »
Okay first I should clarify the last reply I sent you was explaining how to fix your technical issue. The technical issue is your podcast feed (http://karltrautman.com/feed/podcast/) is not there, and your feed http://karltrautman.com/feed/ has no episodes in it. This most likely happened becuase you have another plugin causing problems.

Start disabling plugins one by one until you get your episodes back. You can view the feed in Firefox, when you see media links then you know you fixed the problem.

My guess is you have some sort of membership plugin enabled, which commonly makes all the podcast media disappear.

We do offer one-on-one consulting, if you would like a 1-2 hour session where we go over all the settings in PowerPress, try to help you fix the issues with your feed, and how to submit your feed to directories, please use the contact form and we'll send you details. http://www.blubrry.com/contact.php

I'll reply to your last reply next...

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 04:40:01 pm »
You were most likely podcasting without a plugin, which is fine but the problem is you're now pretty bone stock as far as podcasting is concerned.

By adding PowerPress, not only do you get a player on your pages, but you also get your feeds enhanced with podcasting fields that were designed by Apple. These fields help tremendously with the discovery and distribution of your podcast.

So if your not comfortable with the extra attributes of podcasting, you don't have to use PowerPress. The problem though is then you do not get the podcast only feed, and you have to use your main blog feed then to podcast, which is a problem because services like stitcher and iTunes ignore the blog posts in your main feed, so you're essentially pushing un-wanted information to these services, also limiting yourself how many episodes can be on iTunes for example.

So to podcast with PowerPress installed and configured. Create a new blog post. At the bottom there's a new box "episode entry box", enter your Media URL to the podcast episode there. Then publish when ready. You will see the"Verify" button will set additional info that is needed for iTunes, just an example what WordPress natively does not do.

Now your podcast feed will come alive. This feed is then what you submit to iTunes, stitcher, etc...

I highly recommend you hire us for a consultation. I think 1 hour will really clear things up and streamline your podcasting process.

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 08:18:44 am »
Powerpress settings > feeds tab. Also it is in the iTunes tab with instructions how to submit to iTunes.

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 08:19:52 am »
Or switch to the "defaults" mode, its then on the settings page as step 3.