Author Topic: Question regarding Category Podcasting  (Read 573 times)

cookiemontis

Question regarding Category Podcasting
« on: February 10, 2013, 07:42:25 pm »
First off I want to say your wordpress plugin is awesome. Ive really enjoyed learning about podcasting and this is a great tool for doing so.
Six months ago I setup a podcast for our Church, I used the default feed "http://yourdomain.com/feed/podcast/". This has worked flawlessly,
but after sometime with a weekly podcast being added to the main feed, I decided to create category feeds for a series of Church services pertaining to one subject matter. I added these categories, then setup the additional feeds for each and submitted to Itunes, they all work as designed.

My question regarding this, is that all of these categories still show up in the main feed as well. In hindsight I should have started with a category feed from the start. Then I could tailor what posts went to what feed/feeds via categories.
I found with the default Music app on Iphones/Pods/Pads, that if you have already downloaded an Episode from one feed, and try to download the same episode from one another, it does not add the Episode to the latter podcast.
I winscp into my phone to see how the file structure was setup for the default music app and sure enough it throws all podcasts into one directory which is why the same episode published in 2 podcasts only ends up showing up in the first one you downloaded the episode in. By the way the newer IOS 6 update with podcast app separate from the default music app, does not behave in the same manner(it will download duplicate episodes if they are in 2 different podcasts). It also does not show lyrics/summary when you tap on the screen either or scroll the title if it is longer than the screen can display at one time.

So here is my dilemma, I could reduce the number of podcasts displayed in the main feed to eliminate the possibility of duplicate episodes being displayed in 2 podcasts, then add a "1" to the filename of each of the episodes in the category podcasts, so in the event the user had already downloaded that episode from the main feed, the filename would differ in the category series feed.
If you have any better suggestions/ideas I would love to hear them. Also Im assuming I cannot create a category feed to match the output of
the default feed/podcast/ used by the powerpress plugin? I was hoping not to do a redirect, but I think it might be the easier solution to setting my main feed onto a category/feed to itunes.

My feeds if needed:
http://ctab.jncook.com/feed/podcast/
http://ctab.jncook.com/category/audio-podcast/twelve-immutable-laws-of-destiny/feed/
http://ctab.jncook.com/category/audio-podcast/elevate-your-life/feed/
http://ctab.jncook.com/category/audio-podcast/turning-doubts-into-faith/feed/

Thanks,
Jesse

mgdell

• Blubrry Support
  • Administrator
  • Tech Support for Blubrry and RawVoice Inc
    • Mike Dell's World
Re: Question regarding Category Podcasting
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 05:42:32 pm »
Jessie,

The way you have it setup, I would think, would be the way you want it.  My reason is this... If someone is subscribed to both the main feed and one of the category feeds, I'm assuming they wouldn't want the file to be downloaded twice.  The category feeds will only display those posts that have been set in the category and the main feed will show everything you put an episode in the podcast episode block.

A couple of ideas.  The main feed will always have whatever you put in any of the categories so adding a "1" to the file names wouldn't really do anything as it will just change the filename in the main feed.   You might want to go with the channels option and then do 301 redirects from your existing category feeds. (I know, it's a pain, but it will give you total control over what files go out on which feeds)  See this video: http://www.powerpresspodcast.com/2011/05/11/using-the-podcast-channel-feature/ With channels, you put the media URL in the podcast episode box for the channel you want the file to go out on.. This will not go out on the main feed channel unless you also put the media URL in the main feed's podcast episode box.

If you are going to stay with the category feeds, you may want to change the name of the feeds to keep them better organized. You can do this by going to your category settings in powerpress and edit the feed tab.  There is a space to put a custom title.. This works the same in channels also. 

I'm not sure I covered your whole question..  Feel free to ask whatever.. You can also email me direct if you would like.  mike [at] rawvoice.com

-Mike
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 05:44:12 pm by mgdell »

debbiet

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 03:10:07 pm »
Mike,

Your reply to Jesse's dilemma helped me, too.  Thanks.  I have two (2) more questions:

1.  Whether I decide to use the category or channel feature is the channel or category name automatically inserted into the URL of each post name? E.g. 'mydomain.com/CATEGORY-name/post-name-001' or 'mydomain.com/CHANNEL-name/post-name-001' ?

2. You mentioned that
With channels, you put the media URL in the podcast episode box for the channel you want the file to go out on.. This will not go out on the main feed channel unless you also put the media URL in the main feed's podcast episode box.
So, if I use channels and decide to add the media URL in the main feed AND in the channel feed (I host my media files with Blubrry) on the same episode, as you suggested, is this counted as two (2) separate media files per episode? Or, just one (1) media file located in two different feeds for each episode? (Hope this makes sense).

--Debbie

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 03:35:33 pm »
Mike will explain more, but you're talking about channels and categories as if they are the same thing, and they are not.

mgdell

• Blubrry Support
  • Administrator
  • Tech Support for Blubrry and RawVoice Inc
    • Mike Dell's World
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 04:04:35 pm »
Category podcasting (in powerpress) is where you put the media URL in the main podcast episode box and attach it to a category feed depending on which category you put the post in. 

Channels are totally different in that you have an podcast episode box for each channel.. Each channel has it's own feed.  This is mostly used for if you have an audio version, video version (or several formats of video) so your subscribers can subscribe to whichever format they want.  it's also handy for if you want to run 2 completely different shows off from one Wordpress site.

Unless you have more then one podcast, there isn't really any reason to use either of these features.

To answer your questions:

1. The category podcast will have the category in the RSS URL for the podcast.  You can set that up differently with permalinks in wordpress.  The Channel will have the channel slug in the feed URL but will not effect the URL of the post or the media file.

2. This would be the same file delivered in 2 different feeds... Each channel is a completely different feed.  See this video: http://www.powerpresspodcast.com/2011/05/11/using-the-podcast-channel-feature/

Personally, I do not use category podcasting.

-Mike

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 04:10:08 pm »
Also Podcast Channels do not add new web pages, where categories do add new pages.

Channels help separate 1, 2, 3, ... media files (like an mp3 and a pdf) that should belong to a single blog post.

Categories let you associate any number of blog posts with any number of categories.

cookiemontis

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 10:48:55 pm »
Thank you both for your explanation. It was very helpful. I think the only thing that was not answered had nothing really to do with powerpress or podcasting, but how the Apple IOS Music app handled Podcast Episodes in general, which basically they dump them all into one directory. So even if two separate feeds were used, but both linked to the same file, the end result would be the same. The client would only have that episode in one or the other Podcasts. Going back to what Mike had suggested:
A couple of ideas.  The main feed will always have whatever you put in any of the categories so adding a "1" to the file names wouldn't really do anything as it will just change the filename in the main feed.   You might want to go with the channels option and then do 301 redirects from your existing category feeds. (I know, it's a pain, but it will give you total control over what files go out on which feeds)
-Mike

What about just changing the main feed to a Channel Podcast and doing a redirect 301. All the category feeds work perfect from the perspective that all i need to do is either add/remove it from a category. I ask this because I created the separate Podcasts for a specific series our Church is teaching on. Once that series is done there will be no more episodes added to it. So when we started a new series, I would just rename the oldest series of the three I have setup with Itunes, to the new Series that begins. I added 3 category podcasts because Itunes requires a total of 4 published works to create an artist page which we have now. We plan on publishing E-books as well as Audiobooks in the near future. Again I thank you for your time, and appreciate your help. We still haven't made an official announcement of the Podcast to our Church which is going to be done on Easter weekend. So I have alot of documentation to put together for the website.
One last question Mike, If I upgrade my statistic to premium, will I be able to see detailed information from previous months? I assume you parse all the information exactly the same way, its just how you much you allow the user to view. In a years time after using the premium stats could I get a sqldump to generate my own charts and such for the Church?

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 09:19:05 am »
Code: [Select]
Thank you both for your explanation. It was very helpful. I think the only thing that was not answered had nothing really to do with powerpress or podcasting, but how the Apple IOS Music app handled Podcast Episodes in general, which basically they dump them all into one directory. So even if two separate feeds were used, but both linked to the same file, the end result would be the same. The client would only have that episode in one or the other Podcasts. Going back to what Mike had suggested:
With the desktop iTunes app, that's not true, it will rename the file based on the title of your blog post and if the file exists already, it adds something to the file to make it unique. Not sure how the "Podcast" app works on iOS though, but I don't believe the file is saved based on actual file name, but stored based on the feed item itself. We'll never know because iOS doesn't let us see the files in apps.

A series of episodes,some refer to this as a "season", you should be putting them all in the same podcast feed. You can use categories to offer a category of season 1, a category of season 2, etc... but the main podcast feed (category or not) submitted to iTunes should be your program regardless of season or series.  This is default podcast behavior. But if you want to do this differently, you can, just keep in mind every podcast you submit to iTunes needs a new unique title, so you'll have to say "Podcast name 2013" for 2013, and next year submit a new feed Podcast Name 2014", or something like that. I wouldn't do that for a number of reasons, you're going to confuse folks, others are going to find your older season and not know there's a new season next year, etc...  The idea of podcasting is to make it easy for folks to subscribe and stay subscribed. Making folks re-subscribe every year or series defeats the purpose.

Podcast Channels (not podcast categorizes) is what you want to syndicate other formats, like eBook, PDF, video, etc..