Author Topic: Clarification on Description and Artwork  (Read 868 times)

inthecut

Clarification on Description and Artwork
« on: February 12, 2013, 03:39:54 am »
Hello and thanks for the great plug-in.

This seems like something that's probably been answered before, but I've searched the boards here (and the web) and haven't turned anything up.

I'm pretty confused about where my episode artwork and descriptions have to be added, and where they don't. It seems like I have to repeatedly define them in lots of places and I'd love to eliminate redundant/unnecessary work if I can, and also figure out why I'm still not seeing exactly what I think I want.

I design a unique image for each episode. It seems like I have to add cover art in 3 places:
   - in the "Cover Art" section of the audio file's metadata (via iTunes)
   - uploaded separately as an image file and linked from the "Poster Image" section of the Podcast section of my post
   - in the "iTunes Image" section in Powerpress preferences > iTunes
Is this all necessary? If I leave out the "Poster Image" or "iTunes Image", where won't the artwork then appear?  Is one of these used differently by iTunes, like as the big background if your podcast is featured in the iTunes store or something?

Similarly, I'm entering the description of each episode:
   - in the "Comments" field in the audio file's metadata (via iTunes)
   - in the "Description" field in the audio file's metadata (via iTunes)
   - in the "iTunes Summary" field in the Podcast section of my post
And yet (and this makes me feel like I'm going crazy) when I look at the feed it seems like it's not using ANY of these – it's using the content of the wordpress post itself.  I mean, I do also add the description to the post, but there's other information in the post (URLs, etc) that I'd rather not have slurped into the episode description. Am I wrong that it's doing that? If it is, then what's the purpose of the "iTunes Summary" field at all?

Thanks in advance!
jesse

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: Clarification on Description and Artwork
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 01:40:25 pm »
The "Poster Image" is for video, so if you're doing audio it is pointless. The poster image is usually the same size as your video resolution, aka if you're during wide screen it will have a ration of 16:9.

The image you write to you rID3 tags is also called poster artwork/image, but it is saved in the media file. Audio players don't display anything until you click play. Video on the other hand, you want to display the poster artwork before someone clicks play to entice them to watch the video.

The iTunes artwork in PowerPress is for your listing on iTunes. It only appears when someone looks at your "program", but it does not apply when someone is viewing a specific episode in iTunes. As you have found out, the image saved in your media is displayed at that point.

Typically the poster artwork for audio is saved in a 1:1 ratio (copy from the vinyl record days), iTunes also uses a 1:1 image, specifically 1400x1400 or larger.

inthecut

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 01:45:26 pm »
Thank you! This is incredibly helpful to me.

Any insight into why the feed seems to be pulling its description from the post text, instead of the "iTunes Summary" field in the Podcast section of the post?  Can I have the feed only pick up the "iTunes Summary" and ignore the post text?  If not, then I'm not sure I understand what the "iTunes Summary" field is for.

Again thanks for any help you can offer.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 01:53:13 pm »
It is confusing, and it depends on where you look.

From iTunes or iPhone/iOS, the iTunes Subtitle is displayed, the iTunes Summary is used when you click "more info". The blog post "content" is used when no iTunes summary or no iTunes subtitle is specified. I still haven't figured out the web site profiles, but it appears to be a little smarter and use the summary if subtitle is not specified.

Turn on the 'iTunes Subtitle" option, and populate that with 1-2 sentences and it should fix your problem.

inthecut

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 05:35:49 pm »
I'll do that, thank you!

I may have mis-spoke, though: I mean to say that when I look at the feed, it looks like the individual blog post is getting put in the description of the individual episode. Meaning, in the feed, the text between the <Description> tags (the ones between the <Item> tags) is the text from the blog post, not (as I'd expected) the text from the "iTunes Summary" which is a 'cleaner' version of the episode description (without URLs and other cruft). 

So if I'm understanding you, iTunes ignores the <Description> and only looks at the <itunes:subtitle> and <itunes:summary> sections (which DO have the description I put in the "iTunes Summary" field in the podcast post)?  If so, where does the information from <Description> (within <Item>) appear – only in generic RSS readers?

Again, thanks so much for all the help; you can tell this is a pretty new area for me and I want to make sure I know what I'm doing.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 05:48:00 pm »
Clarification:

<itunes:summary> defaults to <description>
<itunes:subtitle> defaults to <description>

<description> is the text version of your blog post.
For reference...
<content:encoded> is the HTML version of your blog post.

My expert advice, don't bother customizing the itunes summary, but do set a custom itunes subtitle. Your blog post text version should be pretty much a dead ringer for your itunes summary. The way Apple has the description buried I would no be surprised if it is hardly ever seen.

Other applications, either <description> or <content:encoded> is displayed.

inthecut

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 06:04:47 pm »
Angelo

You've gone above and beyond the call of duty here and I think I totally get it all now. I can't thank you enough for your patience and help.

Cheers!