Author Topic: Podcast feed address displaying incorrectly in PowerPress plugin settings  (Read 2097 times)

barefootvet

Hi, I am just setting up my first podcast. I have published (password protected, because it's not public yet) my WP post with the media file connected. In the PowerPress "feeds" settings, it shows this line:

Podcast Feeds    Special Podcast only Feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/ElliottGarber | validate

I don't know why the plugin is pulling my Feedburner feed since I never entered this information anywhere in the PowerPress plugin. I do not want to use Feedburner for my podcast -- I want to use the default PowerPress feed, which should be: http://www.elliottgarber.com/feed/podcast .

I've tried disabling my caching plugin, deactivating the the "SmartCast" feature in Feedburner, and deleting and reinstalling the PowerPress plugin. It continues to pull my feedburner feed and I can't find any way to change this.

Thanks!

barefootvet

I have also tried to use the Podcast Channels and Category Podcasting as a way to get around this problem. When I create a Podcast Channel it pulls the same Feedburner feed as the main podcast feed in the basic settings. However, when I create a category podcast it looks like it is pulling the correct feed: http://www.elliottgarber.com/category/podcast/feed/ 

So, maybe I could use this to get around the issue, but I would prefer just to use the basic podcast feed and get rid of the Feedburner feed that was automatically pulled by PowerPress.

Thanks for your help!

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
This sounds like a plugin that redirects your main feed to FeedBurner. Disable any plugins that do anything on your blog for FeedBurner.

barefootvet

Hi Angelo, thank you for your response. Unfortunately I don't have any plugins on my site related to FeedBurner, so I don't know where this would have come from. Any other suggestions?  Thanks!

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Did you enable "Podcast channels? If so, go to edit each channel, go to the Feed settings tab, find the field for FeedBurner and delete the value in the box. Then click 'save'.

barefootvet

Hi Angelo, unfortunately this doesn't fix my problem because I've never entered anything in the "FeedBurner Feed URL" field under the Feed Settings tab in the Podcast channels. This field is blank and it's always been blank. For some reason the Feed URL that PowerPress is pulling is still the Feedburner one.

I appreciate your assistance in getting this issue sorted out. Do you have anything else I can try? Is there no where to simply go in manually and change the Feed URL back to the default built-in feed?  Thanks!

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Yes, start disabling plugins one by one until the feed goes back to normal. Some other plugin is overriding the setting, powerpress gives you feeds hosted on your blog, that's what you need to look out for

barefootvet

Re: Podcast feed address displaying incorrectly in PowerPress plugin settings
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 09:13:02 am »
Hi Angelo,

I've tried deactivating all the plugins (I don't have many) and then checking my PowerPress feed settings in between each one, but none of them has fixed the problem that causes it to show my Feedburner feed instead.

Is there really no other way to enable PowerPress to create the correct default feed on my site? I really hope you can help me with this!

Thanks,

Elliott

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 12:12:03 pm »
Unfortunately, something is conflicting on your site, most likely in the database to cause that address to be your feed URL. To help you further, you would need to hire us as consultants so we can help you over Gotomeeting, Skype or Google Hangout.

Otherwise I can keep pulling at straws with ideas in the forum, and unfortunately I'm running out of ideas.

Did you switch the theme to the default theme packaged with WordPress? Maybe the theme is doing it.

barefootvet

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 10:39:59 am »
Hi Angelo,

I haven't switched to the default Wordpress theme because I'm afraid that would really mess up my site and don't want to risk that. I am not a developer but simply am using a custom theme from WooThemes so I can't really get into issues with the theme or databases unfortunately.

Would there be any negative implications for me to simply use the "category podcasting" feed instead as the feed that I submit to iTunes and other podcast directories? As I mentioned in my first post, the category feed is displaying correctly as: http://www.elliottgarber.com/category/podcast/feed/ under the Category Podcasting settings.

As long as I make sure to post all my podcasts under this category, should this work just like using the other default feed?

Thanks again!

Elliott

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 01:11:24 pm »
The category podcast feed will work fine, just make sure you set a custom title, the default category title's WordPress generates have those double arrow symbols, which doesn't look so great when viewing from a feed reader/podcast directory.

kkorpos

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 04:37:52 pm »
OMG - I am pulling my hair out and have this EXACT same issue.  I just posted in the help forum and have ridiculously trying to trouble shoot this because it just started happening and for some reason my moset recent podcast is not showing up.

I have emailed regarding consulting and really hope to hear something back soon. My show has gained great momentum in the past few weeks and this trouble couldn't come at a WORSE time, I need to get my new podcasts available and out there  :-[

kkorpos

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 04:56:27 pm »
Ok...I think I have it figured out...not sure. BUT this might help you since you said you were using a WOO Theme. 

I use a Pro Photo theme and forgot that they offer settings in the customization area that have to do with the feed.  There was an option to enter your feedburner in there. So this wasn't a plugin, but part of the customized Wordpress theme I had purchased and was using.  I suspect Woo themes has the same.  So dig inside there and if you have  the feedburner feed in there somewhere, once you delete it your "podcast fee" in Powerpress will go where it should.

I think my feed became too large for itunes because it was being redirected to the feed burner feed, and therefore my latest episode wasn't showing up because it was taking itunes too long to read the page. But with the powerpress feed now working as it should for podcasts, I am hoping that I am back in business. Only time will tell, but my fingers are crossed that was the issue!! 

I think it didn't effect things for the first 4 podcasts because of the feed burner feed size, but then as a it grew, it was taking too long to be read by itunes.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 05:06:22 pm »
The feed size is a problem, we've been told the size does not matter but we know from our own testing that the listings with feeds smaller than 500KB in size are updated daily, where programs with very large feeds are not updated all that often on iTunes.

Good to know about the theme settings, that's usually missed by most as some themes go beyond just providing theme features but also adding features that otherwise plugins would add.

barefootvet

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 07:12:08 am »
I use a Pro Photo theme and forgot that they offer settings in the customization area that have to do with the feed.  There was an option to enter your feedburner in there. So this wasn't a plugin, but part of the customized Wordpress theme I had purchased and was using.  I suspect Woo themes has the same.  So dig inside there and if you have  the feedburner feed in there somewhere, once you delete it your "podcast fee" in Powerpress will go where it should.

Wow, I finally fixed it! My WooThemes theme also had a place to enter my feedburner feed for a "subscribe and connect" widget. When I deleted that, the correct default Blubrry podcast feed started showing up. Thanks!