Author Topic: Downloads: Total vs Unique vs Unique Repeat ?  (Read 1376 times)

FuzzyDunlop

Downloads: Total vs Unique vs Unique Repeat ?
« on: January 09, 2013, 08:27:47 am »
Hi

Could someone explain the difference between Total Downloads, Unique Downloads and Unique Repeat Downloads?

Basically I want to know how many times has my podcasts have been downloaded, is my understanding correct -

• Total Downloads: is the total number of downloads (so this is the figure I should be looking at?)
  • Unique Downloads: is the number of different IP addresses that have downloaded my podcasts
  • Unique repeat: is the number of times episodes were downloaded more then once from the same IP address

What I don't quite understand is how unique downloads or unique repeat downloads is relevant if multiple users can share the same IP address e.g. universities and corporations.

btw - I'm using RawVoice but my understanding is that RawVoice and Blubrry share the same stats engine.

Thanks

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
Re: Downloads: Total vs Unique vs Unique Repeat ?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 08:57:08 am »
RawVoice/Blubrry statistics are calculated and displayed the same, correct.

And as you've pointed out, the unique repeat information has, over the past 2 years, become irrelevant. Not only for the reason you stated but also with mobile devices that may use multiple IPs as they travel from cell tower to cell tower. The new statistics interface no longer reports unique repeat for this reason. The data will be used in the future though, but it will most likely be used as a "minimum confirmed subscriber total". Just remember, if someone downloads 2 or more episodes from the same IP address spread out over more than 24 hours, the value is the unique repeat total. For someone who listens to your podcast say at their office once a week, and their office never changes IP addresses, that's where they are going to show up in your statistics.

FuzzyDunlop

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 12:57:43 pm »
Thanks for the helpful reply Angelo, I understand now  :)

Prepper Podcast

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 10:02:47 pm »
We do 7 podcasts a week. If I download all 7 on Sunday, do all 7 get counted, or just the 1?

Thanks!

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 10:28:47 pm »
Yes.

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 03:03:22 pm »
I was mobile yesterday when I responded. You can drill down and view information on each episode, and you get breakdowns on clients, operating systems and country demographics, as well as other data.