Author Topic: Can't "Save Changes in PowerPress  (Read 1044 times)

sam3673

Can't "Save Changes in PowerPress
« on: January 08, 2013, 07:15:15 am »
I am new to Wordpress, but just successully set up Powerpress, uploaded several episodes, and got approved in Itunes.
Now I am attempting to simply add a "Default Media URL" in Powerpress, but every time I hit the "Save Changes" button, I get an error of "Web Page Not Found", and the new settings will not save.
This happens whether I actually change any settings or not.
The diagnostic tool says all is OK. 

Please help.

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
Re: Can't "Save Changes in PowerPress
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:06:55 am »
something is conflicting, try disabling pluginsone by one and repeating the save in PowerPress until you determine which plugin is causing the conflict.

Weird behavior like this usually is caused by WP caching plugins, though the past year they have become more reliable and this kind of thing doesn't happen as often, though I wouldn't rule them out.

sam3673

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:16:54 am »
Thank you for replying.  I should have already mentioned that I had disabled other plugins individually and when that didn't work I deleted them all.  Powerpress is the only plugin currently installed.  :(

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 10:32:07 am »
And you have a recent version of WordPress installed? What web hosting provider are you using, and did you use their one-click wP install options?

sam3673

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 11:02:39 am »
I am running WP 3.5.  I use Anchor Web Hosting.  Been with them for years (but just now began using WP).  I did use their 1 Click install.  Everything worked fine in the initial setup. I can still upload new podcast episodes, write a new blog post, or whatever.  Just can't save changes in PowerPress anymore.  All the files and directories seem to be in the right place. 
When the error message pops up, this is the filename in IE.
"http://[my domain.com]/wp/wp-admin/admin.php?page=powerpress/powerpressadmin_basic.php". 

When I hit refresh, it goes back to the settings page and nothing has been saved.

It seems as if the program cannot write to that file anymore, but when I removed read/write permissions on that file as an experiment, I got a much different error message so I know PowerPress still has access to the file.

As an act of desperation I already re-installed WordPress last night, but to no avail.

I thought about re-installing PowerPress, but I don't want to chance losing any podcast episodes that I have already uploaded.

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 11:34:06 am »
You can re-install powerpress, and that's what I would recommend. Sounds like the powerpressadmin_basic.php is either missing or the web server owner does not have permission to access it. Web server doesn't write to it, just reads it.

Delete the powerpress folder, then re-install powerpress from within WordPress Plugins > "Add plugin" option, that way WordPress itself installs PowerPress with the correct permissions.

sam3673

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 11:53:31 am »
I deleted the folder and then re-installed from within WordPress and sadly the problem remains.
I have access to the powerpressadmin_basic.php file in my file manager.  It is in the right place, and I have the ability to chmod, view, download, delete or rename it if I wanted to.

A real stumper.

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 12:08:41 pm »
Contact your web hosting about the issue, it could be something with server caching or file permissions.

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 12:09:40 pm »
Even an overly aggressive configured mod_security could cause problems like these.

sam3673

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 12:31:41 pm »
Even an overly aggressive configured mod_security could cause problems like these.

I punted the problem to the webhost people before I saw this additional note.  I am unfamiliar with "mod_security".  I will update that trouble ticket with the additional info.

Thank you for your assistance!  :D

sam3673

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 03:52:11 pm »

"Overly aggressive mod_security" was the problem!

It has been resolved. 

Thank You Very Much!!!
 ;D

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 07:05:17 pm »
Awesome, and that was a long shot guess! :)

sam3673

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 07:21:40 pm »

It's all good now!
Thanks again.
Victory!
 ;D