Author Topic: Player disappears on original iPad  (Read 821 times)

accurate

Player disappears on original iPad
« on: December 13, 2012, 11:33:22 am »
Hi:

I recently redesigned my podcast using Wordpress and the PowerPress plugin. The URL is http://www.hablandodetecnologia.com (sorry, it's in Spanish).

I noticed that the player appears on my Macintosh, on Windows and on my iPhone 3gs running iOS 6.  However, it disappears on my iPad running iOS 5.1.1. This is a problem for many reasons. First, there are a lot of these iPads out there and Apple decided to make their new iOS 6 incompatible. This thing isn't even two years old. I guess that's their way of shoving a new iPad down our throats. But most importantly, I don't know it this is something that's only happening to me or to everybody.

Are there any plans to go full HTML5 on the PowerPress plugin?  That would probably solve evrything. :

mgdell

• Blubrry Support
  • Administrator
  • Tech Support for Blubrry and RawVoice Inc
    • Mike Dell's World
Re: Player disappears on original iPad
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 02:00:38 pm »
There is an HTML5 player option in powerpress.  Have you tried this?

-Mike

accurate

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 02:14:03 pm »
Yes, and it works fine.  But it's the least attractive of the players.  Is there any way to install a nicer HTML5 player?

Besides, when I use the flow player (the first one from the top, and the one that I prefer) the iPad is supposed to show the same HTML 5 player that I see on my iPhone.

For some strange reason it works under iOS 6 but not under iOS 5.1.1.

Any thoughts?

mgdell

• Blubrry Support
  • Administrator
  • Tech Support for Blubrry and RawVoice Inc
    • Mike Dell's World
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 03:08:23 pm »
I am not sure what to think. I never had an original ipad  I got the ipad3 when IOS 5 was on it and it seemed to work ok on powerpress pages.   

You can make the player look like anything you want with the html5 player in powerpress.  Just make a play button and upload it in the config page for the player in powerpress.  As you said before, there isn't likely going to be too many iPad 1's out there anymore, but who knows?   

Just for fun, have you tried chrome on your ipad?  I have it on the ipad 3 and it works great.

-Mike

accurate

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 03:31:24 pm »
Yes I did, but it didn't solve the problem.

Now, here's something even weirder. I did make a play button to use with the HTML7 player.  And when I hit that button what appears is the same black HTML5 player that should have been there all the time.

In other words, it appears right after I hit the button image but it doesn't appear if I select the flow player as my main player.

Weird!!!

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 05:27:41 pm »
Your theme is setting CSS styling to the audio and video HTML5 tags, which has negative effects on how the player will appear in older versions of iOS. The older versions of iOS show a very thin and narrow player, it's disgusting looking, but nearly impossible to style with CSS, and anything that tries to modify the audio/video via CSS for those older versions of iOs usually do more harm than good.

So in your CSS for your theme, remove audio and video in the comma separated list of styles at the top, then see if it appears.  don't forget to clear your browser cache after you modify your theme.

accurate

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 06:18:43 pm »
I can't find what you mention anywhere in my theme's CSS files.

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 07:29:26 pm »
 I can see it using firebug in firefox. Consult with a web developer for help, if not with who created the theme originally.