Author Topic: vid embed not showing  (Read 1276 times)

handyguys

vid embed not showing
« on: November 13, 2012, 10:24:26 am »
Okay - This is new, not sure exactly when it started.
Our setup is a but unique/complicated

We have 4 podcast channels for video (HD, SD, iTunes HD, iTunes SD). When we create a post we add the 4 respective media URLs and add a media embed to the HD entry box (a youtube embed if it matters). In the podcast channels we have the "do not show" box check for the three channels that are not HD.

I entered the URLs and added the embed like I normally do. When I preview I do not see the embed, nothing in the source. If I add the [powerpress] shortcode I get the youtube embed AND the blubrry player.

It seems the issue is related to the newest Jetpack. If I disable jetpack then everything works as expected. I'll dig further and report back.
CRAP - jetpack is causing ALL embeds within permalinks not to show!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 10:38:40 am by handyguys »

handyguys

Re: vid embed not showing
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 01:53:35 pm »
Seems to be an issue with compatibility with jetpack 2.x. I'm digging deeper and will post any findings here. Disabling jetpack or downgrading to 1.x of jetpack and things work.

Todd

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 11:45:57 pm »
It appears that YouTube embeds that are being put into the PowerPress embed area for those that have it enabled are being jacked up due to something they did in one of the plugins in JetPack.

Angelo knows about the issue and will be working on a fix. Sadly they did something weird in their implementation that broke us.

I do not have a timeline for the fix. Angelo will likely way in here as soon as he figures something out please ping the Jetpack folks on this as well..

Todd..

handyguys

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 09:26:38 am »
Hey Todd.

Yeah, I posted on the plugins support forum. I do not have a direct contact to Automattic. I wanted to troubleshoot more deeply but rely on stats and Askemet comment spam catching and needed to downgrade to the latest 1.x release of Jetpack. I need to resurrect my sandbox for situations just like this.

Know of any tools that can manage sandbox environments? For example, implement a change in the sandbox then promote it to production?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 09:23:37 am »
I took a brief look at the latest JetPack, I think something is happening with the Photon feature when it modifies the content.

IF you have a development environment you can test this in, try editing your dev's wp-config.php, add the following define somewhere in the middle with the other defines...

Code: [Select]
define("POWERPRESS_CONTENT_ACTION_PRIORITY", 999999 + 1 );Let me know if this works or not. 999999 is currently the priority that Photon is using, so adding 1 will make PowerPress add it's stuff after photon does.

If there's a way to turn off Photon in JetPack, that may also fix the issue. When I looked at the code though it doesn't look like you can turn it off.

handyguys

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 09:30:05 am »
Thanks!
I may try that when I have some time. I'm back to jetpack 1.x for now. I did learn how to disable a jetpack module. Click on "Learn More" and a little disable button automagically appears. I would think my first step would be to upgrade to 2.x, confirm the issue exists, disable the Photon module, confirm no issues, implement the tweak, enable photon and see what happens.

I'm going to try all that today, if I dont I wont get to it until next week. Need Coffee

-Brian

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 09:33:23 am »
Okay great. Also, I read someone else say that the [powerpress] shortcode works, but otherwise the player does not appear. Another test would be to go to PowerPress Settings > Appearance, mid-way in that page there's an option to fix the player for themes, try that option. If that fixes the problem, then that's an indication that JetPack is modifying "the_content" of the page before the theme is loaded.

handyguys

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 09:48:33 am »
Regarding the shortcode - Yes and no.
1) When adding the shortcode for a video episode that uses an embed it shows both the blubrry player and the embeded video.
2) If it did work correctly, it would require me to edit 200 posts.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 09:53:59 am »
Right I'm not saying it's a solution, but it narrows down the problem.

If shortcode works, that means the problem is happening in the "the_content" WordPress filter. If the fix theme option solves the problem, that that indicates the problem is with "the_content" filter in JetPack being called before the page is loaded. If the define I gave you fixes the problem, that means the problem is caused by how JetPack is handling "the_content" filter after PowerPress adds it's content to the page. If none of these things point to the problem, then I'm going to have a long weekend trying to figure out what's happening. Once I know which is the problem, I can include a temporary fix in PowerPress, similar to the one I added for when the Facebook app had this problem.

handyguys

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 09:59:45 am »
I have confirmed that the issue is in the "Sharing" jetpack module.
I now have Jetpack 2.x running with "Sharing" disabled and everything is working.
Enabling 'Sharing' and selecting 'having theme issues' also fixes things.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 10:01:15 am »
That's the Share Daddy tools correct?

handyguys

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 10:05:09 am »
http://jetpack.me/support/sharing/

Sharing
Free
The most super duper sharing tool on the interwebs. Share content with Facebook, Twitter, and many more.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 10:29:14 am »
Thanks, I appreciate the help. I've added some code to auto turn-on the theme fix logic if JETPACK 2.0 or greater is detected. We'll release PowerPress 2.0.5 sometime in the next 24-48 hours that includes this fix.

handyguys

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 11:03:00 am »
Nooooo - THANK YOU for being so responsive. Great post over at wordpress