Author Topic: Creating RSS Feeds for new podcast channels  (Read 1983 times)

AnnemarieC

Creating RSS Feeds for new podcast channels
« on: November 09, 2012, 08:22:10 pm »
I plan to use the Podcast Channel feature as I continue to add other podcasts and show hosts to our podcast network.

I have watched the video on how to set this up - which is very helpful.

The only thing I am getting stuck on is the RSS feed for the new channels. Where do I get this information from? Is there something else I have to do? Every time I try to validate the new feed I get error messages.

Any advice or pointing me in the right direction would be extremely helpful.

Also, I know Blubrry offers phone support; do you or do you know a reputable source that I can hire to set this up and get it working for me if I continue having trouble?

Thanking you!

Annemarie

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: Creating RSS Feeds for new podcast channels
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 06:45:33 am »
AnnemarieC,

To find the RSS feed for your channels, go to podcast channels and hover over the channel in question and click edit.. In the feed tab, you will see what the feed will be and a validate link next to it. 

I say "will be" because unless you have at least one episode in the channel, the feed isn't active. So once you have posted an episode in a new feed, it should validate and be active.

Hope this helps!

email me if you need one on one consulting.  mike [at] rawvoice.com

-Mike

AnnemarieC

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 04:25:13 pm »
Hi Mike,

That makes sense - thank you.

Regarding podcast channels, you recommended I set up an everything feed and then individual podcast channels, and then will be required to post to the individual show feeds and again on the everything feed, which is what I plan on doing.

The very first feed that was setup [http://ambitiousentrepreneurnetwork.com/feed/podcast/] is my own show, however I don't want to include everyone else's podcasts on this feed, so was wondering:

(a) should I set up another channel for the everything feed, or
(b) set up another channel for my personal show so it has a more personalized url? This means I will need to change things on itunes, which currently has just my shows on it.

On another topic, down the track we may very well add videos and other non-media posts. I realize we should make another channel for the videos, however is there anything I should be doing now to ensure ALL non-media posts don't show up/get included in the other feeds?

Thanks for forwarding your email. Once I get this sorted I may just get in contact so that the things I've done can get checked to ensure all will work properly.

Best,

Annemarie

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 08:58:22 am »
AnnemarieC,

At this point, since you already established your personal feed at /feed/podcast/, I would make another everything feed.

The beauty of powerpress is it makes your feeds "podcast only". So, as long as you are not using category feeds and use one of your categories for a non-podcast post, there will be no blog (text only) or embedded video posts in your podcast feeds.  And yes, if you are going to do video PODCASTS, you will want another feed for that.  Just posting a youtube (or similar) video embed in a post will not put a media enclosure into the feed.

Happy Podcasting!

-Mike

AnnemarieC

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 04:15:32 am »
Hi Mike,

After uploading a post/podcast episode to my own feed and I want to now upload to the 'all' feed, how would I do that without having to publish a completely new post on my site? I also don't want to select the audio in the 'All' combined Podcast Channel, because that will show two audio files in the one post?

How would I do this? Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Annemarie

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 10:31:39 am »
Same blog post, 2 or more media files organized by separate feeds, that feature in PowerPress is called "Podcast Channels".

AnnemarieC

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 09:48:19 pm »
Yes, however when I do that the audio appears twice in the post. I only want it to show up once. Is there any way around that?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 09:15:53 am »
When you edit a podcast channel, the last tab of the settings has an option to not display player and links. Go through all the settings carefully, you can do a lot of tweaking including custom titles, different artwork images, etc...

AnnemarieC

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 05:42:36 am »
Ah, thank you - I found the setting under Media Appearance: Do not display webplayer or links.

Thanks!!