Author Topic: Embeds for HTML5 player  (Read 3752 times)

DanielJLewis

Embeds for HTML5 player
« on: November 05, 2012, 09:15:53 am »
I would really like to start allowing my audio to embed my podcast on their sites. For usability, compatibility, and design reasons, I'm using the HTML5 player on my site (falls back to Flow Player Classic).

"Embed" is only visible on my site when I use Flow Player Classic. I would like to see PowerPress display this embed link regardless of what player is selected on my site.

I understand the limitations of what kind of players can be embedded on others' sites. But if the embed could simple always display the FlowPlayer code, I would be fine with that, even though it wouldn't look the same as my site.

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: Embeds for HTML5 player
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 01:39:48 pm »
Angelo will have to address this one and he's neck deep into some other issues this week.

I'm not sure if it's even possible to do an html5 embed from another site.  Good idea though :)

-Mike

DanielJLewis

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 01:44:48 pm »
For clarification, I'm not requesting an HTML5 embed, but the FlowPlayer embed when the HTML5 player is selected on my site. I think FlowPlayer on others' sites is the best choice, and I'll continue to use HTML5 on mine where I can control the experience.

But the problem is that PowerPress disables the embed code if I use HTML5 on my site.

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 01:54:37 pm »
That is likely doable, but I can't speak for Angelo on that one.

-Mike

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 02:04:51 pm »
I have to do some research, but I believe the HTML5 audio player's width/height is not configurable, which is why it's not offered as an embed option. But we should be able to automatically default to the flow player in such a case. Let me look into this and get back to you.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 04:46:03 pm »
I've confirmed, the Embed option only works for Flow Player Classic and HTML5 Video player.

* HTML5 audio cannot be configured consistently across all web browsers
* 1 pixel out player has dynamic action when played/stopped and will not auto fit width/heights of an embed. Rounded corners look funny in an embed frame.
* Mp3 Player Maxi has rounded corners which look funny in an embed frame.
* Simple Flash MP3 Player has rounded corners which look funny in an embed frame.
* AudioPlay  has a transparent background which when in an iframe, may or may not appear constantly on different web sites.
* VideoJS is a 3rd party provided player, if the plugin were to be disabled even though PowerPress was still enabled, it would be possible to have garbage in place where the player is supposed to appear.

I'm looking at the logic now to see if I can simply always use FlowPlayer Classic for audio embeds and always use HTML5 (which has FlowPlayer as fallback player) for Video. May get this into tonight's update, we'll see what I can get done.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 05:03:49 pm »
Wasn't hard to change. In the next update, the option will have the note below as follows: Embed option uses Flow Player Classic for audio and HTML5 Video player for video.

Thanks for the feedback.

DanielJLewis

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 10:59:07 am »
Wonderful! I look forward to incorporating this on my sites!

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 11:35:26 am »
If you don't mind beta testing it, the latest version is available here: http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/powerpress.zip

WordPress will report it as version 4.0.4, but if you go to settings the bottom will indicate 4.0.5 beta.