Author Topic: Android Icon  (Read 1331 times)

differencetone

Android Icon
« on: October 01, 2012, 08:43:31 pm »
Just got my first Android device and I am using BeyondPod Podcast Manager. I noticed that most but not all of the podcasts I subscribed to have an icon. My podcast does not have an icon. The icons appear to be much smaller than iTunes or standard rss. I would like the icon feature in Podpress for this. Correct me if I am wrong or tell me how to fix this. I did some searches and could not figure out how they do it.

Thanks

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
Re: Android Icon
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 09:16:21 am »
You need a favicon.ico file saved in the root of your web site. It should have 16x16, 32x32 and 48x48 size images in it. Google favicon for more details.

We do not provide support for PodPress plugin here, only PowerPress.

differencetone

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 01:10:14 pm »
Sorry I meant to say Powerpress which is what I use. Not too good with names.

I do have a favicon.ico which is my icon for bookmarks however this appears not to be what Android is using. Do you use Android or is someone here familiar with this problem? It seems that Podpress is more geared towards the Apple fanboy club.

To be more specific, my icon is working fine in itunes and when my website is bookmarked for any browser. My icon is missing when I look in my Android podcatcher. Most other podcasts do have an icon in that program but not all of them.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 01:17:11 pm by differencetone »

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 01:13:52 pm »
Okay, still the favicon.ico is a web thing, blog or podcast or any web site for that matter, it's not a podcast specific feature.

differencetone

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 01:20:15 pm »
It seems you are correct so why is my icon missing from my podcatcher?

Perhaps the reason is the new iTunes image size. Maybe the podcasts and podcatchers have not caught up to this standard.

I urge all podcasters to test their podcast on every possible platform.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 01:54:11 pm by differencetone »

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 01:53:48 pm »
I believe if you embed your image into the mp3 files (using the id3 tags) it will show up in Beyond Pod on Android.  but you have to embed the image on every episode. (you should anyway for other reasons)

See http://www.podcastfaq.com/creating-podcast/audio/id3-tags/

-Mike

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 09:55:43 am »
Mike, he's talking about saving the feed as a bookmark on the desktop of Android. That icon that appears is the favicon.

differencetone

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 10:37:10 am »
I have since solved the problem. Have not tried it yet but I am sure this is what to do. This is something that ought to be a part of PowerPress. Admin are you reading this?

Add these meta tags to the head section of your HTML to define icons:

<!-- 57 x 57 Android and iPhone 3 icon -->
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" media="screen and (resolution: 163dpi)" href="icon57x57.png" />
<!-- 114 x 114 iPhone 4 icon -->
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" media="screen and (resolution: 326dpi)" href="icon57.png" />
<!-- 57 x 57 Nokia icon -->
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="icon57x57.png" />

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 10:57:50 am »
Interesting, those are how you set the icons for iOS. Must be something BeyondPod is doing specifically.

differencetone

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 05:09:24 am »
Although now that I think about it, the way it's written, those would go in the root of the www not in the Wordpress directory but I guess with the full url they could be anywhere.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 05:11:39 am by differencetone »