Author Topic: Custom Post Types and iTunes  (Read 1520 times)

CarlAxel

Custom Post Types and iTunes
« on: September 07, 2012, 04:56:34 pm »
I am in the process of changing how we do sermons on our website and want to make sure I have this right and understand things.  I am creating a custom post type (CPT) for the sermons and want to make sure everything gets pointed in the right direction

Current setup:
iTunes subscription URL: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-covenant-church/id450199069
(A) podcast feed:  http://www.covchurchcheboygan.com/feed/podcast/
feed for CPT: http://www.covchurchcheboygan.com/feed/?post_type=ecc_sermon

As I understand it, for the CPT, what I need to do is set up a custom channel, which I did:
(B)  http://www.covchurchcheboygan.com/feed/ecc-sermons/
it works, shows 4 episodes currently

Now, to make sure that iTunes picks everything up, as well as RSS, are these the next proper steps?
1.  do a 301 redirect from (A) to (B)
2.  In PowerPress, go to iTunes tab and set new feed URL to (B)

But, if I do this, what happens to the podcasts that were previously published at (A)?  Seems as if they would not show up in a reader;
Also, from the description of custom channels, the idea seems to be that I should be able to have different channels and this would take away the ability to use (A) as a channel because everything would be pointed to (B).

mgdell

• Blubrry Customer Support Coordinator
  • Administrator
Re: Custom Post Types and iTunes
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 03:40:30 pm »
Is your goal to have everyone get the sermons only?   or do you want to have 2 different podcast channels? 

If you want to have 2 different channels, then don't do either a 301 or the new feed URL thing.  Just have the second feed be your custom post type. 

if you still only want to have one feed, then you will have to go back and put the back episodes into your custom post type channel.  IF you redirect the /feed/podcast/ url, then anyone who hits that will be redirected to the new feed.

Hope I didn't confuse you more :) 

-Mike

CarlAxel

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 10:24:08 pm »
No, I don't think I am more confused.

At this point, the only podcast is the sermons, but for flexibility, I guess I would like to keep 2 different channels.  So, for the new custom post type channel containing the sermons, how do I get that into iTunes?  Can I get it put to the same URL as the other channel or do each of the channels need their own iTunes URL?  In other words, keeping the two channels, with the custom post type on "channel 2",  do I need to register channel 2 as a new podcast with iTunes with its own URL?  And then notify any old subscribers of the change of address?

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 09:23:51 am »
Lets reset the conversation.

I believe what CarlAxel is asking is how to organize the "podcast', as in "episodes".

So there's only one podcast as in "program". But you will have a podcast "episode" once a week, correct?

You don't need custom post types, all you do is blog your podcast as you would any other blog post, but then attach the media file to that blog post. Your regular blog feed remains the same, and PowerPress gives you a podcast only feed which you then submit to iTunes. The advantage of putting it together is searching. Once you create custom post types, your theme needs to be able to search the custom type, you need to display the custom type on the site (theme), etc.. If you're asking how to do this using Custom Post Types my answer would be "Don't use them, they are intended for folks who know what they are doing with them.".

CarlAxel

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 11:15:14 am »
Angelo - no, that was not my question.  I understand that I do not need custom post types in order to do a podcast.  I put them in my theme and understand how they work and am using them for the ability to use taxonomies to categorize, sort and display. 

So, I will ask the question in a different way. 
I have two podcast channels:
Channel A - the default podcast channel (for podcasts put in regular old blog posts)
Channel B - the custom post type channel
these are set up using PowerPress, and work fine.

What I am trying to understand is the connection to iTunes:
Do I need to submit/register a new podcast with iTunes for Channel B, or is there a way that one iTunes subscription will pick up both channels?    It looks like I will simply have to create a new podcast in iTunes for Channel B, but I want make sure this is true before I create it.

angelo

• CIO, RawVoice
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 12:23:43 pm »
Okay I understand. And the answer is Channel B is a separate podcast with separate blog posts and podcasts tied to them. So you would need to submit it as a separate program to iTunes.

CarlAxel

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 11:07:55 pm »
Thanks. Appreciate all your time in helping me figure this out,  the discussion helped me also understand a few other things as well as gave me some thoughts on my site.  Appreciate it!  :)