Author Topic: Help! Moving from an established Podcast  (Read 664 times)

jonloomer

Help! Moving from an established Podcast
« on: June 27, 2012, 10:46:50 am »
I've created five episodes of my podcast so far using Podcast Generator. I've submitted the feed http://jonloomer.com/podcast/podcastgen/feed.xml to iTunes and various other distributors already. It appears to be a pretty big pain to change these feeds, especially on iTunes.

I'm just starting to poke around with Blubrry, but wondering if it's going to be too much of a hassle. How do I start creating podcasts with this tool without having to create an entirely new feed?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jon

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
Re: Help! Moving from an established Podcast
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 12:54:38 pm »
Some podcasters used to use an application called Movable Type, it wrote the feed as a static xml file similar to how your Podcast Generator app does. A static feed has an advantage of loading a lot faster than a PHP generated WordPress feed. A solution for you is a plugin called Static Feed, I wrote it to both help Todd with the Geek News Central move to WordPress while also keeping his original podcast.xml static feed. You will not need the Rewrite feature in the plugin, just use the basic static feed options and you'll be all set. Your xml file will need to be writable by the web server though.

jonloomer

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 01:13:02 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, Angelo! I've installed and activated your plugin, and now I'm trying to figure out what to do next. My podcast's RSS feed is not listed among the feeds I can choose to serve statically.

Also, pardon my ignorance here:

"Your xml file will need to be writable by the web server though."

Any other details you can provide on this (how, where, why...)?

It seems that what you're providing is a way to keep the current XML file that I am generating, and simply add future episodes to it. Correct? And how would future episodes be added to it? Would I do it manually? Or is there a step that should be more obvious to me that will connect Blubrry to the feed?

Many thanks in advance for your help and patience!

angelo

• Custom Title
  • Administrator
  • CIO, RawVoice
    • Angelo's Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 01:19:50 pm »
I assumed you had PowerPress. I made the plugin to list the podcast channel feeds added by PowerPress. So you need PowerPress installed as well.

Second, you need to add all you podcasts to your blog, make sure you backdate the episodes appropriately.

WordPress makes you a feed, e.g. example.com/feed/podcast/ and Static Feed lets you rewrite that to any local folder path on your web server. You would want it to overwrite your existing feed xml.

The file needs to be writable by the web server, instructions are in the Static Feed plugin if it's not set right.

jonloomer

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 01:37:10 pm »
Ah, of course. I had deactivated PowerPress since I needed to publish a new episode today.

Thanks for the tips! I'll dig back in.

Jon